Associate Editor (m/f) (Microbiology), Nature Communications
Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Job title: Associate Editor (Microbiology)
Department: Nature Communications
Location: London, New York, Berlin or Shanghai
Do you love science but feel that a career at the bench isn't enough to sate your desire to learn more about the natural world? Do you enjoy reading papers outside your chosen area of research? If the answer is 'yes' to any or all of these questions, you could be the person we're looking for to join the editorial team of Nature Communications in either our London, New York, Berlin or Shanghai office.
Nature Communications (part of Macmillan Publishers, branded as Springer Nature) is the world's leading multidisciplinary Open Access journal, publishing high-quality research from across the natural sciences. To help us to build on the success of this journal, we're seeking an immunologist or microbiologist who has a critical eye, a deep understanding of their subject and interests beyond, and who can think on their feet
To be considered for the position, you will have:
- A PhD (or equivalent) in a field of microbiology. Candidates with expertise in clinical microbiology are particularly encouraged to apply.
- A thorough understanding of recent developments and trends in the field is essential.
- A passion for science and a thirst to learn more. You must be able to demonstrate the breadth of your interest in scientific research, both within and beyond your speciality
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be fluent in English (written and spoken.
- The ability to read and assess the novelty, context and implications of research submitted to the journal from different areas of this discipline.
- Be eager to travel and meet scientists worldwide, learn more about them and their research, and help them learn more about us and what we are looking for in the papers we seek to publish.
The successful candidate will report to a team manager in the life sciences, and play an important role in determining the representation of their subject in the journal. They will handle original research papers, and work closely with other editors on all aspects of the editorial process, including manuscript selection and overseeing peer review. The ability to recommend well-reasoned editorial decisions on submitted manuscripts in the light of expert advice is crucial. They will liaise extensively with editors at other journals in the Nature family and experts in the international scientific community. Editorial experience is not required, although applicants with significant editorial experience are encouraged to apply and will potentially be considered for Senior Editor positions.
- The position is offered on a full-time, permanent basis, and may be located in either our London, New York, Berlin or Shanghai office.
- Applicants for the London, Berlin and New York offices must be able to demonstrate the right to live and work in this location in order to be considered for the position.
- Candidates for the Shanghai or Berlin office may be expected to complete a training period of up to six months in the London or New York office.
- Any offer of employment in the Shanghai office will be contingent on the necessary work permits for the US, UK and China, as applicable, being granted (the Company will provide reasonable assistance with the necessary application process in this respect).
Applicants should include:
A CV detailing your education, relevant employment history, salary expectations, and any other achievements that you feel demonstrate your suitability for the position.
A covering letter explaining their interest in the post
A Research Highlights piece in the style of Nature Cell Biology (of around 300 words) on a recent paper from the literature.
Closing date: 11th August 2017