Legal Commercial Project Manager ( AVP)
The Commercial Project Manager - Legal role within the Commercial Management team will be responsible for providing commercially-focussed legal project management and operational support to the Legal function. The remit of the team is to introduce greater control and transparency of projected costs and elicit more meaningful MI on a select group of major matters with a significant combined budget. The Commercial Project Manager will work with lawyers, business managers and 3rd party vendors to ensure that the following best practices are implemented on all major matters:
- A consolidated plan of all legal project deliverables and timelines is actively maintained so it is always current and available to inform law firm selection decisions and enable ongoing matter reviews and planning.
- A complete and accurate financial plan containing actual and forecast data for both the current financial period and also the lifetime of each matter and is actively maintained and can be relied upon by Management for budgeting purposes.
- Purchase orders are actively managed and any resulting invoice issues are quickly identified and resolved.
- Commercial optimisations are established (and regularly reviewed and renegotiated as required) to provide cost saving and visibility of the value being delivered to Barclays.
- Internal lead lawyers, external law firms and other vendors are constructively challenged regularly to establish competitive and efficient commercial arrangements.
The successful applicant will be capable of undertaking this work, managing the requirements of multiple senior stakeholders, effectively engaging with internal and external parties on complex matters and providing globally consistent processes which meet the needs of legal teams. Fundamentals of the role are:
- Matter Initiation: Work with Lead Lawyer to formally agree and document project scope, project plan and deliverables; partner with Legal Project Portfolio Manager, Legal Lead, Pricing Manager, Business Manager and Finance to challenge, agree and document appropriate fee arrangements.
- Matter Commercial Control: Manage the commercial effectiveness and delivery of several parallel major matters; constructively challenging, agreeing, regularly reviewing and renegotiating matter pricing where required; contributing to the standardisation and automation of matter financial reporting; accountable for accuracy and currency of financial data on assigned major matters.
- Matter Quality Management: Ensure assigned projects are managed to agreed methodology and that project documentation and reports meet consistent standards.
- Best practice / continuous improvement: Contribute knowledge and ideas towards team efforts at continuously evolving and improving the methodology for legal project management and commercial control; regularly review and refine processes and standards to improve quality, efficiency and consistency.
- Legal function as-hoc project contribution: Contribute time and expertise to Legal function change initiatives.
Overall, ensure that assigned legal major matters are planned and managed effectively, with strong emphasis on commercial performance and achieving the most effective fee arrangements from legal suppliers, while promoting greater internal awareness of financial spend and forecasts alongside the value being received.
- Manage complex legal projects within a clearly defined framework that emphasises strong commercial management alongside quality and timely legal deliverables.
- Ensure the consistent and coordinated delivery of agreed processes and outcomes to high quality standards.
- Act as a central point of information, documentation and control on assigned major matters for all discussions relating to negotiation, budgeting, planning, challenge and ongoing management of matters.
- Check and challenge commercial approach on significant matters at regular intervals throughout the matter lifecycle.
- Provide guidance to lawyers and other project stakeholders on effective project and commercial management practices, liaising with Legal Project Portfolio Manager and other Commercial Management Team colleagues to ensure consistency of messaging.
- Implement appropriate controls aligned to Barclays Legal Risk Management requirements.
Financial Analysis & Reporting
Stakeholder Relationship Management
Skills & Experience Required
- Strong business, commercial negotiation and financial management skills
- Qualified and experienced project manager
- Ability to engage with and build strong working relationships with senior stakeholders
- Excellent attention to complex detail
- Strong communication and presentation development/delivery skills
Complex data analysis and audience-appropriate information dissemination
McGregor Boyall is an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on race, religion, gender, age, sexuality, gender identification, or physical ability.