Business Support Officer - Lambeth council
MAIN OBJECTIVES OF POST
1.To provide a comprehensive customer care, administrative and financial support service for the Public Realm (excluding Parking) Department, at all times ensuring that the service is responsive and customer focused in approach.
- To undertake a full range of administrative duties as required, including typing, photocopying, filing, maintaining the stationery supply, and ensuring the maintenance of office equipment and collection and distribution of post.
- To draft and send standard letters to customers in relation to the activities of Public Realm (excluding Parking).
- To provide support and assistance to other members of the team, planning and managing cover between the hours of 9.00 am and 5.00 pm, including taking on additional tasks, as necessary to ensure the smooth running of the office (ensuring workloads are prioritised and resources are managed). This may include working in other locations.
- To respond to telephone enquiries from residents and other callers regarding all issues dealt with by the Public Realm (excluding Parking) team.
- To arrange meetings, including accommodation and refreshments as necessary and to circulate agendas and information and to record and distribute minutes of meetings as and when required.
- To be responsible for the administration of communication systems between Environmental Services and Highways Agents, the Environment Call Centre and contractors, raising appropriate inspection or works order requests.
- To record all correspondence, including enquiries and complaints using the appropriate system to enable accurate enquiry tracking and provide accurate statistical information.
- To make decisions of the relevant priority to be allocated to enquiries, based on set procedures and guidelines and to acknowledge correspondence and allocate to the appropriate officer for investigation and response.
9.To take any necessary action to ensure that enquiries are dealt with efficiently and appropriately and that as many as possible are resolved at first point of contact to the satisfaction of the customer.
- To assume lead responsibility for a particular area of work within the business support team.
- To assist in the administration of operational processes for the Business unit liaising with field staff and service managers.
- To ensure that processing information and requests onto IT systems is completed within agreed timeframes, work is undertaken to a high standard to meet deadlines and that backlogs do not develop.
- To monitor the office environment ensuring the area is kept tidy and meets H&S and fire regulations and that any maintenance issues are reported.
- To ensure the required supplies and services required by the business unit are in place including stationary, uniforms, ID cards, water, phones, IT equipment and Securitas cash collection.
- To administer payment and income systems, including processing income for banking, raising invoices and purchase orders, ensuring timely certification of invoices payable and reconciling individual customer accounts using the appropriate IT and manual systems.
- To monitor the receipt of services and check the receipt of goods against goods received notes and purchase orders and to ensure that receipt is recorded in the financial information system to enable the invoice matching and payment process.
- To work flexibly in undertaking the duties and responsibilities of the post and participate as required in multi-disciplinary, cross-department and cross-organisational groups, projects and task teams.
- To keep up to date with developments and information relating to the Housing Regeneration and Environment Directorate and the rest of the Council to ensure appropriate and timely information is given to officers and callers.
- To provide assistance to the Head of Service and other senior officers as directed by the Business Support Supervisor.
- To contribute ideas, suggestions and feed back on systems and procedures to enhance the effectiveness of performance and customer service.
- To undertake projects on behalf of and as directed by the Business Support Supervisor.
- To carry out any reasonable duties in the event that the Council's Civil Emergency Plan is activated.
- To carry out any other relevant appropriate duties as may be allocated by line management.
- To carry out the duties of the post at all times with due regard to the Council's Equal Opportunity and Health and Safety policies.
Versatile IT skills with knowledge of standard office computer software and ability to use it proficiently including word-processing, databases and spreadsheets, with the ability to learn and train others on new software packages. (Knowledge of Word and Excel is preferred).
The ability to word process documents with accuracy.
The ability to work with numbers accurately
Experience of providing a secretarial/administrative service within a fast-paced, customer focused environment.
Experience of first point of call of front line service delivery.
Experience of providing a range of administrative support, preferably in a multi-disciplinary organisation such as a local authority.
Negotiating Effectively (A1)
Secures positive outcomes through persuasive and balanced negotiation
Demonstrates a clear commitment to the team approach, exchanging ideas and providing support to colleagues.
Developing Productive Relationships:
Builds positive working relationships with a wide variety of individuals.
Communicating in writing
Conveys written information clearly and accurately to a wide range of recipients.