Network Analyst / Senior Network Analyst
1. Position information
Vacancy No.: VN17-07
Section:?Networks and Computer Security
Job Ref. No.: STF-C/17-07
Reports to: Network Services Team Leader
Publication Date: 9 June 2017
Closing Date: 20 July 2017
2. About ECMWF
The European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF) is an international organisation supported by 34 States. ECMWF's principal objectives are the development of numerical methods for medium-range, monthly and seasonal weather forecasting; the preparation, on a regular basis, of these weather forecasts for distribution to the meteorological services of the Member States; scientific and technical research directed to the improvement of these forecasts; and the collection and storage of appropriate meteorological data.
3. Summary of the role
The position is in the Network Services team within the Networks and Computer Security Section. The selected candidate will take part in the provision of data centre and office networks, network services, and security appliances and services. He or she will also take part in evaluating and implementing new networking and security technologies, standards and techniques in order to enhance the computing infrastructure, as well as participating in a variety of other networking-related projects.
The duties will change and evolve over time in response to the needs of the computing environment at ECMWF, in particular with the high-performance computing facility and the dissemination of weather products to ECMWF's partners around the world.
4. Main duties and key responsibilities
The ideal candidate will have the expertise and in-depth knowledge to plan, design, deploy, operate, optimise and support the network infrastructure as well as adopt and develop standards and new techniques for computer networks such as automation and virtualisation. The role will involve working with both internal and external stakeholders to introduce these into operations.
- Configuring and operating the network infrastructure used to support ECMWF's High-Performance Computing Facility
- Configuring and operating network equipment: switches, routers, firewalls, ADC, wireless
- Working towards the simplification and automation of networks to achieve quicker and safer deployments, changes and upgrades
- Configuring and operating network services: DNS, DHCP, SMTP Relay, RADIUS, SIP, VoIP, NTP, Web Proxy running on a variety of platforms (proprietary, Linux, Windows)
- Isolating and repairing network faults in a timely and efficient manner in coordination with internal stakeholders and 3rd parties (providers, suppliers and support companies)
- Recommending and implementing changes and improvements to all services
- Evaluating and installing new network and telephony hardware and software
- Creating and maintaining up-to-date low and high-level documentation and diagrams
- Monitoring of the availability, performance and reliability of the network infrastructure and services
- Providing day-to-day support of the network environment including, on a rota basis, 24-hour on-call support
5. Qualifications and experience required
- A university education to degree standard or equivalent industry experience.
- Experience of architectural roles within major organisations with a complex network infrastructure supporting high performance computing.
- Experience of configuring network hardware including switches, routers and firewalls.
- Experience of working with infrastructure automation and virtualisation technologies.
- Experience of network monitoring tools and techniques.
- Experience of troubleshooting a network environment.
- Experience of scripting in support of automation, troubleshooting and monitoring.
- Experience of configuring and operating services such as DNS, DHCP, NTP, and RADIUS.
- Experience of working with Arista, Brocade, Fortinet, f5, or Cisco platforms would be an advantage.
Knowledge and skills (including language)
- Knowledge of network technologies including several of the following in practice: LACP, VPC, MST, MPLS, L2VPN & L3VPN, VXLAN, MP-BGP, OSPF, EIGRP, WAN Acceleration, Unified Communications.
- Understanding of the requirements for a secure network environment.
- Understanding of tools to support monitoring and incident investigation.
- Comfortable working within both Linux and Windows environments.
- Good knowledge of a modern scripting language such as Python.
- Candidates must be able to work effectively in English - interviews will be conducted in English.
- A good knowledge of one of the Centre's other working languages (French or German) is not required but would be an advantage
6. Other information
This position is graded A2/A3 and the minimum annual basic salary for this post will be GBP56,487 net of tax. Recruitment at the higher grade may be considered on the basis of the level of skills and experience.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: Four years, with the possibility of a further contract.
Location: The position will be based in the Reading area, in Berkshire, United Kingdom.
7. How to apply
To view the full vacancy notice, or to apply, please complete the online application form - click the APPLY button.