Trainee Yard Operative, Building, Customer Service
Chandlers Buildings Supplies Ltd, based in Ringmer (Lewes), East Sussex are looking for a Trainee Yard Operative.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF JOB
Provide a timely, friendly and dependable collection and delivery service of products to customers ensuring that their expectations are not just met but exceeded. Maintain a clean, tidy and safe yard/warehouse environment where stock can be easily identified.
- Work effectively as part of a team promoting the company's vision, values and aspirations at all times.
- Build effective relationships with customers and suppliers by delivering a professional, prompt and efficient service.
- Accurately pick and load products in line with health and safety procedures and company policy.
- Ensure all relevant documentation is in place prior to departure in order that goods can be tracked.
- Receive and check deliveries to the branch, highlighting any anomalies to your line manager without delay.
- Ensure the secure, correct and timely storage of delivered products.
- Undertake stock take duties as and when requested.
- Work and communicate as a team member to ensure the yard operates efficiently and effectively.
- Use and maintain plant in an appropriate manner in line with health and safety and company guidelines.
- Actively safeguard against the theft of goods or company property by remaining security conscious at all times.
- Highlight low stock levels where necessary and report any damaged items.
- Optimise all duties and activities to enhance branch profit.
- Take a pro-active approach in ensuring the health and safety of staff and customers reporting and responding to any potential H&S concerns.
- Perform any other reasonable duty as may be required by the company.
Working week An average of 44.5 hours per week, 7.30am to 5pm Monday to Friday ( unpaid one hour lunch break) and alternate Saturdays 8am to Midday. (the hours are based on the candidate being over 18)
Weekly wage GBP249.20
Expected apprenticeship duration 13 months
The essential skills for the role include:
- The ability to get to the workplace and be on time for 7.30am.
- The ability to undertake heavy lifting and complete this physical role.
- Basic English and Maths skills.
- The successful candidate will be required to undertake a Maths and English initial assessment to check that they would be able to complete the apprenticeship.
- Good verbal communication skills.
- The ability to work as part of a team but also independently.
- The ability to understand what good customer service is.
- Good attention to detail.
- Keen to work in an outside environment.
- Always being aware of the importance of safety.
You must have Maths and English GCSEs at grade D or above, or equivalent to apply for this role.
Initially the apprenticeship will be completed over a 13 month period however if this is successful you will be offered a permanent contract. Chandlers Building Supplies prides itself on its high level of staff retention. The right candidate could progress onto a supervisory role within the company. Chandlers Building Supplies also welcomes internal applications for other roles within the company.
Things to consider
How will you travel to the workplace? There are no reliable public transport links to the Chandlers Building Supplies. Are you able to get up early? There will be 7.30am starts so you must be able to get to work on time. Are you happy to work in all weathers? As an Apprentice Yard Operative you will be working outside in all weathers, undertaking a very manual role.
Group income protection, life insurance and the opportunity to earn a bonus.