Quality Assurance Specialist
The web analytics team is a rapidly expanding part our business and one of the most established and highly respected in the UK. We partner closely with Google and are currently the largest Google Analytics 360 Sales Partner in the UK.
As such we work with a broad range of clients from any sector you could imagine. This allows you to get hands on experience with many different websites and technologies. On any given day, you could be working with a global ecommerce brand in the morning and a local services consultancy in the afternoon.
What you'll be doing
You will be responsible for the functional testing of web tracking and A/B test solutions deployed by our team of analysts. The focus will be ensuring the accuracy of Google Analytics tags and that our tracking implementations have not adversely affected core site functionality. In addition to Google Analytics tags, the role will assure the accuracy of other media tags (conversion and remarketing) for systems such as AdWords and Bing Ads. The bulk of the workload will be manual testing (smoke, system, exploratory) but there will be opportunities to build and run complex automated test scripts too. In fact, you will be responsible for assessing when automation is a suitable fit!
You will work with our analysts to identify critical journeys and build the test plans to support them. We're particularly interested in a tester that will proactively try to root cause a failure and those that have a strong interest in user experience and design.
Tracking tags will often be deployed using Tag Management Systems such as Google Tag Manager, whilst A/B tests will be run using Optimizely or Google Optimize. It would be expected that the candidate would learn and use the testing and debugging features within these tools daily. The candidate will also work with ObservePoint regularly.
A background in QA is essential and the ability to 'self-start' and work independently will be key. There will be scope to develop skills outside the normal QA remit, with opportunities to learn and apply wider Google Analytics skills should the candidate desire to explore these.
Training, Development and Opportunities
We understand that Google Analytics is likely to be an unfamiliar subject and that the initial learning curve may be steep. The good news is that you will be surrounded by some of the most knowledgeable and talented Google Analytics experts in the Universe and we run training sessions for a living! We'll take you from Google Analytics novice to ninja, allowing you to seamlessly integrate your existing QA knowledge into our internal processes whilst expanding your set of testing and debugging tools.
The role offers a great deal of opportunity to shape our QA proposition, both from a process and service offering perspective. It also provides a platform upon which you can develop your own skills through a huge suite of personal development materials, leading and developing internal training, contributing to QA thought leadership across the wider Merkle business and the opportunity to explore other areas within the digital marketing world. You'll also have plenty of time for self-learning about new tools and testing best practices.
Essentially, we're looking for someone with an exemplary attention to detail and methodical approach to testing who is open to exploring a new challenge within the worlds of analytics tagging and A/B testing.
Being a bit more specific, the ideal candidate will have the following skills:
- Previous experience in a QA role
- Current knowledge of web technologies, browser and device compatibility
- Experience in manual web and application testing (Functional / Integration / UAT / End to End)
- Bug tracking and project management
- Good understanding about Agile/Waterfall process
- Good understanding about BDD/TDD techniques
- An out of box thinker, who can understand products from a user perspective
Other desirable (but not essential) skills include:
- Understanding of web analytics tracking methods, preferably Google Analytics
- Experience debugging web tracking implementations using browser based debugging tools (GA Debug, Firebug, WASP, ObservePoint etc.)
- Experience creating and maintaining automation frameworks and scripts
- Experience working with Selenium Webdriver / JUNIT / BDD (Cucumber or JBehave)
- Writing tests in Gherkin format
- Experience in building and maintaining test plans and test cases
- Utilised test management tools (Quality Centre / Zephyr / JIRA)
- Continuous integration - Jenkins
- Basic knowledge about API testing
Unfortunately, we cannot support visa applications so you must have permission to work in the UK before applying.
What's in it for You?
- In exchange for your contribution to our award-winning company, we make sure you take advantage of a generous holiday allowance and are paid a competitive salary.
- We're really proud of our company values and culture; we're always planning company socials and want all our employees to enjoy coming into work.
- As well as excellent growth and development opportunities, we have a fantastic work environment. We're based by London Bridge / Bermondsey where we have a modern, bright, open-planned office which has a friendly and approachable atmosphere.
- There's a games room downstairs (next to the auditorium which we use as a cinema some evenings!) where you can find a pool table and ping pong - there's always someone ready to challenge you to a game.
- Friday afternoon you can help yourself to a celebratory drink at 4.30pm (aka Four Thirsty!).
- We also have perks such as the Cycle2Work scheme, free eye tests, a company mobile phone and season ticket loans.