Managing Editor BMC Series
BioMed Central is the leading open access publisher of STM (Science, Technology and Medicine) research. Since it was founded in 2000, BioMed Central has successfully pioneered the open access publishing model and brought open access to the mainstream. With offices in London, North America and Asia, the company employs over 290 people across a range of operations including editorial, production, IT and business. BioMed Central is a vibrant and innovative company. It operates in a fast-paced and high-energy environment, hiring talented people who are passionate about science, technology, medicine and open access.
Job Title: Managing Editor, BMC Series
Closing Date: 21st August 2017
The Managing Editors provide line management and leadership of a team of Editors/Senior Editors and support the Global Head of Publishing on the editorial, commercial success and strategic development of the BMC-series portfolio (comprising the BMC-series subject-specific journals, BMC Research Notes and BMC Proceedings).
Line management and leadership of team of BMC-series Editors
- Demonstrate strong leadership and management qualities, managing a team of Editors to be successful in their roles, achieving high standards of editorial judgment, author service and editorial board engagement.
- Continuously monitor KPIs including submissions, publications, revenue, turn-around times and author satisfaction within line management groups; ensuring that targets are met, identifying issues early and proposing and implementing solutions to address any issues.
- Recruit, train and supervise new members of the team, ensuring that all team members are supported in their roles and have opportunities for professional development.
- Conduct regular staff performance reviews and promptly address any issues as a result.
- Have an overview of the journals within the line management group, understanding the current performance, trends, development and status of the journals and working with the Editors to drive the success of these journals.
- Develop excellent relationships across Springer Nature to facilitate cooperation with other teams and departments.
- Take on additional projects as required, in discussion with the Global Head of Publishing, particularly taking a broad view across the BMC series, BioMed Central and the publishing industry.
- Maintain an oversight of relevant team documentation and ensure that this is kept up to date.
Contribute to implementation of the the strategy and vision for the BMC series:
- With the editorial team, implement development plans for journals in ther series that ensure growth in line with market opportunities, respond to the needs of the community for each journal, and meet or exceed business plan forecasts.
- Foster the ethos of being open, inclusive and trusted.
- Provide input into the strategic goals of the portfolio, and work with the Global Head of Publishing to implement the strategy.
- Take responsibility for projects which have a measurable impact across the series and which enable implemention of the strategy.
- Understand market, competitor and industry trends, and work with the Publisher to identify potential new launches and new opportunities.
- Proactively identify and drive ways of improving the performance and/or reputation of the series.
Represent the BMC series in the ORG, publishing and scientific communities:
- As required, input into cross-business projects as a representative of the BMC series.
- As required, engage in profile-raising activities and presentations, advocating for the BMC series and the principles of open research.
- Develop a network in the scientific and publishing communities.
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Experience in publishing, preferable within an STM setting.
- PhD in a Biomedical field or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrable line management experience.
- Demonstrable experience of editorial processes and peer review, including decision making and publication ethics
- Understanding of the STM research publishing market.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Customer focus.
- Strong time-management and prioritisation skills.
- Analytical, able to respond to non-routine circumstances and a positive approach to problem solving.
- Ability to manage budgets and prioritise resources.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- People Management (incorporating resource planning, performance management, development and motivation)
Effectively manages people to achieve the best results for the business. Monitors performance on an ongoing basis, provides positive feedback for effective performance, coaches to resolve performance difficulties. Analyses business area to determine critical positions, skills and resources required.
- Strategy & Planning (incorporating Business Awareness)
Understands the needs and direction of the business in context of market opportunities and threats, anticipates and develops business priorities to meet these. Embraces change and drives to improve current working practices/products/technologies to grow the business.
- Leadership (incorporating team leadership, professional impact, networking, continuing professional development)
Creates a shared vision and passion for his/her group or business area and motivates others to work towards it. Embodies the Company's values and beliefs and shares these with others. Able to develop a sense of the mission of the organisation or group and take action to influence others to work towards accomplishment of the mission.
- Business Management (incorporating feedback, sales and commercial capability, presenting and securing agreement to proposals and ideas, fiscal control etc)
Produces outstanding results both professionally and personally by effective management of business processes. Effectively plans, budgets, tracks and evaluates performance of his/her business area.
- Managing Complexity (incorporating change management and flexibility)
Is able to work effectively in a highly complex, diverse, changing environment. Maintains a high level of performance under conditions of increased pressure, competition and adversity. proactively pursues opportunities to drive change that add value to the business.