Editor/Senior Editor BMC Series
BioMed Central is the leading open access publisher of STM (Science, Technology and Medicine) research. Since it was founded in 2000, BioMed Central has successfully pioneered the open access publishing model and brought open access to the mainstream. With offices in London, North America and Asia, the company employs over 290 people across a range of operations including editorial, production, IT and business. BioMed Central is a vibrant and innovative company. It operates in a fast-paced and high-energy environment, hiring talented people who are passionate about science, technology, medicine and open access.
Job Title: Editor / Senior Editor, BMC Series
Closing Date: 21st August 2017
You will be responsible for the performance and success of a portfolio of journals within the BMC series. This includes overseeing and developing their content, driving their growth, and optimizing editorial standards and policies.
Communication is a key part of this role, as you will need to build excellent and productive relationships with the external editors who manage the peer review process and with internal teams responsible for journal editorial office support, marketing, PR etc.
You will also need to take a proactive approach to organizing your work, and through monitoring the content and performance of your journal, you will identify and implement changes to maximise both.
- Plan and implement a suitable journal development strategy for each journal in your portfolio, taking into account individual journal performance and development needs, as well as the overall strategy of the BMC series.
- Work with colleagues on related journals published by BioMed Central to build an understanding of the fields and develop a cross-portfolio subject strategy.
- Monitor journal performance to identify areas for improvement and take action as appropriate.
- If required, launch a new journal to fill a gap in the BMC series portfolio: coordinate all aspects of journal set-up and launch, including defining appropriate sections and recruiting Editorial Board Members, as well as implementing the journal development strategy after launch.
- Work with Editorial Board Members to identify and commission appropriate reviews, commentaries, editorially-led thematic series and supplements, and liaise with the appropriate in-house teams to take these forward.
- With the Editorial Board Members, identify need for new sections or the need for sections to be split, as well as any changes needed to the section or journal scopes.
Peer review quality
- Take overall responsibility for journal content, with decisions on individual manuscripts delegated as appropriate to editorial board handling editors, though the Editor may act as handling editor on manuscripts.
- Assess and have final say on manuscripts at final decision for complex issues or when escalated by Assistant Editors.
- Ensure that appropriate editorial standards are upheld by having oversight of submissions and published articles, and regularly auditing content to ensure that the journal scope, BMC series ethos, and BioMed Central policies are maintained.
- Take ultimate responsibility for investigating issues relating to peer review or publication or research ethics, and resolve in consultation with the relevant Editorial Board Member and in-house staff as appropriate. Step in on manuscripts where required. Ensure that the journal appeals process is followed by all editors.
- Ensure that all members of the Editorial Board are fully aware of the ethos and editorial policies of the journal and the BMC series, and have all necessary training and information to perform their roles.
- Develop field-specific policies for each journal in consultation with the Editorial Board Members and senior in-house staff as appropriate.
- Monitor author satisfaction and recommendations, and take action when issues are identified. Respond to pre-and post-publication concerns raised.
Editorial Board management
- Build excellent communications and relationships with Editorial Board Members and authors. Have a specific communication plan for each journal to keep in contact with all the external editors as appropriate.
- Call Section Editors individually and for conference calls to discuss journal policy, specific content-related issues, editorial board recruitment etc.
- Ensure that the Editorial Board Members are performing well, and that their workloads are appropriate and manageable. Take action where necessary. Work with Section Editors to recruit Associate Editors and new Editorial Board members.
- Host regular Section Editor and Editorial Board Meetings, either in person on via teleconference/ webex.
- Visit suitable academic institutions as appropriate to meet Editorial Board Members.
- Build journal content by identifying and contacting senior researchers to encourage submissions. Work with Editorial Board Members and related contacts to increase submissions.
- With the marketing team, ensure that the journal has a clear marketing strategy, approve marketing materials and ensure that suitable USPs are available to the marketing team for use in campaigns.
- Develop journal website content and features that are of interest to the community and raise the profile of the journal websites in the online environment.
- Attend conferences to promote the journals and develop a network of contacts within relevant fields.
- Write blogs and participate in social media activities on both journal content and developments in the field to raise the profile of journals and their content to the appropriate audiences.
- Identify content suitable for press release; work with the communications team to promote journal content
- Identify and write Editors' picks; select and write image highlights for websites.
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Educated to PhD level (or equivalent), in biomedical field
- An interest in open access publishing
- Knowledge of editorial process and related matters
- Excellent communication and influencing skills
- Excellent organisational ability
- Highly customer focused
- Analytical/critical appraisal skills
- Willing to travel occasionally and represent BioMed Central at external events
- Pleasant and tactful telephone manner
- Able to respond to non-routine circumstances
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills, able to balance short-term deadlines with long-term goals
- Self-starter with a positive, can-do approach to problem-solving
- Ability to complete allocated tasks and work to deadlines
- Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues at all levels
- Ability to work in a team
- Scientific editorial/publishing experience (or equivalent)
- Technical Capability
Uses technical/job knowledge and experience to meet and exceed job requirements/customer expectations. Efficiently manages workload and projects within set timelines and to agreed budget, achieving set objectives.
- Problem Solving
Takes initiative to identify current and potential problems and determines the best solution. Identifies the cause of problems and key issues through investigation; identifies effective, logical and practical solutions.
- Relationship Building/Teamwork (incorporating Communication, Influencing and Trust)
Builds effective relationships through positive communication that motivates and influences others. Honest and trustworthy; a valued team member, actively involved in achieving team objectives. Works cooperatively and flexibly with other members of the team.
- Customer Focus (internal and external customers)
Nurtures relationships by recognising and delivering on internal and external customer's needs and opinions. Helps others to understand the implications of their decisions. Develops and sustains productive internal and external customer relationships.
Extra Capabilities for Senior Editor
- Managing Complexity (incorporating change management and flexibility)
Is able to work effectively in a highly complex, diverse, changing environment. Maintains a high level of performance under conditions of increased pressure, competition and adversity. proactively pursues opportunities to drive change that add value to the business.
- Personal Effectiveness (incorporating results focused, productivity, ownership, delegation)
Produces outstanding results both professionally and personally by being proactive and committed. Continually focuses on achieving positive results contributing to the overall success of the business.
- Goal Setting/Short term Planning (incorporating decision making, planning and organisation, and tenacity)
Achieves results by setting goals using quality planning, analysis and decision making skills. Sets very structured plans and thinks through all possible contingencies.