Leather Goods Technical Developer
As Leather Goods Technical Developer you will be working within the development team and alongside the design team. The role will focus on buying and development of all leather goods and hardware working closely with suppliers in Italy and Europe on a daily basis. The ideal candidate will have strong technical expertise in leather, hardware and if possible canvas working for a luxury or contemporary fashion brand.
- Manage sourcing and development of all raw material textiles, leather and hardware.
- Primary interface with design providing support during seasonal and ongoing development.
- Establish and manage the RM sourcing library, including cuttings and samples of all raw materials developed, actively updating the library with current colour cards, costs, MOQ lead-times, etc.
- Agree and control key PDV critical path dates from season kick-off to final testing of PP sample.
- Assist with the creation and management of a standard procedure for master sealed samples and wearer trials.
- Organise and manage lab dip requests and replications facilitating sign-off and approval of colours communicating all Design comments to RM suppliers in line with agreed critical path.
- Work with Design, PDV in Italy and factory of 3 rd party edge stain supplier to finalize and obtain Design sign-off seasonal leather edge stain standards.
- Order and expedite raw materials for prototypes and SMS monitoring delivery of leather, fabric, hardware and zips to ensure on-time delivery in line with the critical path.
- Control and monitor the seasonal RM budget by controlling and monitoring expenditure on RM developments, updating the planners as required by the Finance team.
- Manage the surface product development process from initiation to handoff meeting.
- Negotiate costs of raw materials, developments, SMS and production finding options to achieve agreed target prices.
- Proactively and continuously communicate quality and performance issues to all key supply chain partners.
- Ensure leathers, zips, threads and zipper colours are signed off in line with the critical path.
- Manage RM testing from prototype through to production monitoring and testing, including RM performance related wearer trials as required maintaining inspection and performance records and communicating any issues in a timely manner.
- Update all RM on Zedonk working with all key partners to ensure only the most accurate product information is entered in the system.
- Manage RM testing, (set up standards for RM testing, monitor and record testing at development and production stages).
- Establish raw materials inspection standards and limits with tanneries and mills ensuring factories are on-board with established standards.
- Inspect and quality check all sampling and production orders at Masure.
- Work with suppliers and tanneries especially to ensure consistency in selection, mix, colour and quality across seasonal deliveries.
- Maintain a quality log with complete history of all leather quality information and issues working with key internal and external partners.
- Work with 3 rd party testing houses, (Certest Bureau Veritas / BLC) to spot test RM and any finished product as relevant to ensure raw materials are fit for purpose and will achieve compliance and performance standards.
- Proactively assist factories, PD and production in resolving any raw material and product related issues.
- Quality check raw materials bulk production and any faulty and repaired products.
- Leather Goods Technical Developer with at least 5 years' experience in Quality and/or PD specialising in women's luxury leather accessories handbags and SLG's.
- Either a technical qualification or experience dealing with technical or quality in luxury accessories.
- Comprehensive technical knowledge of leather development and finishing techniques for handbags and raw materials.
- Ability to plan, multitask and work under pressure.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Excellent computer literacy (Excel, Illustrator, etc).
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Assertive and determined attitude.
- Fluent Italian would be an advantage but is not essential.