Director Quality Assurance Engineering
At Pearson, we're committed to a world that's always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it's one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology - and each other to surpass these boundaries - we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world's innovations, personal and global, large and small.
-Do you want to be part of creating a positive, meaningful, and visible change in an industry that impacts millions of lives worldwide and give your work profound meaning?
-Would you like a unique chance to help education have a lasting effect on children, individuals and communities around the world?
Technology leaders at Pearson can make an extraordinary and meaningful difference to millions of learners globally through our cutting edge technology and as a member of a diverse technology community solving problems on a global scale.
That's why we need smart people like you. Together, we can transform education and make a real difference to the lives of millions of learners worldwide.
We have opportunities for two Directors of Quality Assurance Engineering. You will be responsible for overseeing and coordinating the planning, design, project execution and implementation of strategic and operational quality assurance activities, as well as provide direction and support for IT solutions that enhance mission-critical business strategies and operations. You'll work on key initiatives and build strong relationships across the company to successfully complete vital projects that will drive the future of our company. Responsible for the quality implementation of project deliverables, to support systems across the business units. Work closely with IT leaders to ensure timely, accurate, fully tested applications that address business needs. Mentor quality assurance team members and oversees test planning and execution processes.
One Director will manage Pearson's Enabling Program, which enables Pearson to our business, to ensure we're fit for the future. As the world's learning company, our educational products and services improve the life chances of millions of people by helping them to learn more effectively. The Enabling Program will support Pearson in working more effectively, and efficiently.
The second Director role leads software testing and QA for Pearson's future-gen Global Learning Platform and initiatives in our Growth market as well as the Performance and Automation teams.
So it's easy to see how vital these role are to help simplify Pearson and bring future gen technology to the education market in these roles
Beyond that, as Directors at Pearson, you will be able to help implement new QA techniques and capabilities to take the QA organization to the next level. It is an opportunity to bring in new ideas to make the QA organization world class. You will have the opportunity to work with key business leaders to implement new ways to deliver educational products and solutions at scale globally.
Education opens doors; it enables individuals to alter the trajectory of their lives, their families and even generations. Software Testing and QA plays an important role in Pearson's ability to deliver high quality solutions to Learners everywhere.
We'll also toot our own horn, you'll work for great leaders who are highly respected in their fields and at Pearson. You'll like your boss!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Accelerate the testing of company Enterprise Systems (distributed software systems) to shorten the time from development to live production
- Supervise direct reports to ensure quality testing of products being developed.
- Mentor the test team members, develop and critique test plans and test cases, and overall own the quality processes and personnel to assure high quality releases.
- Oversee work of a product development teams in the definition of new high-quality project requirements.
- Must ensure the communication on the status of projects in test, manage expectations of deliverables, and work with other departments to get their input and notify them of our timelines and needs.
- Direct the planning of testing efforts, including scoping the needed tools, and creating test timelines and schedules.
- Oversee organization of test cases, test case reviews, and test plan preparation.
- Scope and manage the test automation effort with a focus on efficient testing.
- Review Test & Bug Reports for thoroughness and accuracy.
- Monitor, measure, and improve software development and test processes.
- Document and Train software testing processes as necessary.
- Collaborate with business partners on user acceptance test plan
- Build and manage organization budgets
- Able to work and communicate well with others.
- Able to analyze problems and implement/suggest resolutions
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Ability to use Office tools to prepare persuasive and informative reports is required along with a strong understanding of metrics, trends, and reporting.
- Strong ownership and organizational skills.
- Ability to provide clear instruction and direction.
- 15 years of testing experience
- At least 5 years in a management role
- A degree in Computer Science or related technical field preferred (BSCS, BSCIS, BSMIS, BSIS&T).
- Proven success using professional software testing and quality assurance practices resulting in quality products and smooth timely delivery.
- Experience creating and managing organization budgets
- Experience with Agile methodologies
- Experience defining standard processes for employees.
- Proven success testing client/server based software and distributed systems (HTTP/XML).
- Excellent understanding and hands on experience implementing automated regression testing tools to shorten release times.
- Deep experience using metrics and trends to measure field quality of beta and released products.