Senior Data Scientist
3 days left
- Flexible Hours
QBE Insurance Group is one of the world's top 20 general insurance and reinsurance companies, with operations in all the key insurance markets. QBE is listed on the Australian Securities Exchange and is headquartered in Sydney. We employ more than 17,000 people in 43 countries.
Our underlying business strategy is to maintain operations in the key global insurance markets and, where possible, to be a lead underwriter for selected lines of business.
QBE's strategy of diversification by product and geographical exposure is fundamental to managing our insurance and reinsurance risks and has been a vital ingredient in the Group's success. We have developed a unique QBE culture which is based on six core values and effective risk management practices and controls.
We aim to grow the business through our existing extensive networks and acquisitions of insurance businesses, portfolios and teams of underwriters that meet our stringent criteria for minimum return on equity and EPS accretion in the first year of acquisition. QBE Group has successfully delivered more than 135 acquisitions since our first acquisition in 1982 and has grown substantially over the last 10 years. QBE's gross written premium was US$17.9 billion in 2013.
We're one of the world's largest insurers, managing $4Bn of policies, covering a large number of domains: Energy, Cyber, Property, Marine and Casualty, to name a few. We specialize in commercial insurance and we handle often large and complex risks.
You will be helping us to better forecast the risks our current and prospective clients face, so that we manage and price our policies more accurately by leveraging the rich customer and claims data in combination with growing external sources like credit, census, telematics, GPS, weather and social media data. You will also help us with modelling customer acquisition and retention, fraud detection, as well as with identifying and prototyping new technology.
You will be joining a dynamic and growing team while working closely with industry leading insurance experts with a vast knowledge in each specific domain, combined with strong executive sponsorship. Data science has the support of the board as one of the company's six key global initiatives and is vital to QBE's future success.
What we offer
* competitive compensation, pension and benefits
* brand new HQ in Bank at the heart of the financial industry
* working alongside industry experts in insurance underwriting and risk assessment
* a diverse set of problems, as our products span across virtually every insurance domain
* flexible working and standing desks
- Ownership of projects from end to end: from investigating raw data, acquiring external data, making data pipelines to deploying a model to production
- Identify new problems and prototype solutions while working closely with business experts to generate ideas and ensure adoption
- Maintain and improve existing Machine Learning applications; quantify and analyze model performance; oversee model scaling and refreshing
- Demonstrate the value of data products and data derived insights to business stakeholders
- Advanced degree in mathematics, computer science, or other quantitative field from a top university
- Experience building end-to-end analytics solutions, including exposing Python and R algorithms as APIs with Flask and building visualizations in D3.js
- Expert with SQL development and advanced queries, plus experience handling unstructured data in MongoDB
- Strong experience with Unix and leveraging scalable data science environments such as Spark and AWS
- Previous experience delivering predictive machine learning solutions and managing stakeholders within a large organisation
Number of Openings:
How to Apply:
To submit your application, click "Apply" and follow the step by step process.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
QBE is an equal opportunity employer and is required to comply with equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction it operates.