This role sits within the Datacentre and Networks team, who are responsible for the strategic direction, operational and project delivery of all business facing IT infrastructure used within the firm. This role requires excellent technical, initiative and communication skills to ensure consistent delivery of services. It is necessary that an awareness of the environment across all platforms is understood and that this knowledge is articulated clearly at all times. Work as an integral member of the team. Effectively adapt to rapidly changing technology and apply it to business needs, executing a proactive and creative approach to resolving business problems through the use of technology. To progress assigned projects and tasks with the aim of delivering them on time and to budget using agreed Project Management procedures. Work with third party vendors (e.g. Microsoft) to facilitate problem resolution. Assess and recommend architectural designs/changes to systems in response to performance issues, growth requirements etc. Work closely with the firm's International offices to ensure their requirements are fully catered for.
- Relevant qualifications in Microsoft SQL server desirable
- Sound evidence of working experience with financial and/or document / content management systems.
- ITIL Certification desirable
As a key part the Datacentre and Networks team, the DBA will provide database and database server management, working closely with the IT Department as a subject matter expert (SME) in Microsoft SQL server (SQL2005 through SQL2016). The responsibilities of the DBA include and are not limited to:
- Proactively identifying issues before they become failures
- Production of regular operational KPIs and metrics on the platform
- Documentation on platform and processes
- Regular progress reporting to line management and identification of risks and issue.
- Ensure change management is handled as per defined process
- Ensure configuration updates are handled as per defined process
- Ensure configuration documentation is created , updated and stored as per defined process
- Operational configuration and support of the firms databases working with other teams and vendors
- The daily management of SQL Server application databases.
- Ability to understand and write TSQL queries and stored procedures.
- Working knowledge of Replication and HA/DR within SQL Server.
- Ability to work with other teams to agree the best strategy for the firms database systems.
- Proven experience in the management of complex SQL Server architecture.
- Work closely with project managers, team leaders, development teams and Architecture teams to keep them updated about the delivery milestone and problems.
- Provide realistic input into estimation and scheduling of both manual and automated implementation of activities
- Ability to proactively performance tune and optimise the firms SQL systems.
- Experience working with SQL Server Report Services and SQL Server Analysis Services.
- Windows Clustering knowledge.
- Working Knowledge of Windows Server 2003 - 2016.
- Strong organisational skills and ability to prioritise
- Ability to cope with conflicting demands and meet deadlines
- Attention to detail with a high level of accuracy
- Remains calm under pressure
- Ability to present new ideas
- Self-motivated and focussed with keen attention to details
- Communicates effectively at all levels, both verbally and written
- Takes personal responsibility for getting things done
- Team player
At Norton Rose Fulbright we welcome receiving applications from candidates directly via our careers page.
If you would like to ask any specific questions beforehand, please contact Simon Bristow at
NO AGENCIES PLEASE