Senior Knowledge Lawyer - Projects/Construction (12m FTC)
5 days left
- Flexible Hours
Knowledge plays a critical strategic role at Norton Rose Fulbright, ensuring that every client in every matter benefits from the collective knowledge and experience of the whole organisation. Senior management are committed to the vision of making the contributing and sharing of knowledge a core part of the firm's culture and every person in it, in the belief that how we use our knowledge is key to business growth and client care.
Norton Rose Fulbright has a team of knowledge professionals dedicated to the standards, sharing and systems that will help us achieve this goal across the whole organisation. This includes knowledge lawyers, knowledge managers, library and information experts and systems specialists.
The Senior Knowledge Lawyer position reports into the Regional Head of Knowledge and/or the Practice Area Head of Knowledge.
The Projects/Construction Senior Knowledge Lawyer would be supporting a cross-departmental team of projects/construction lawyers whose practice areas have a common knowledge base.
- Acting as a sounding board for lawyers to discuss the legal issues which they face in their transactions and matters (including structuring advice), providing assistance to lawyers in their research.
- Maintaining existing precedents and drafting new precedents, including complex documents.
- Maintaining existing practice notes and drafting new practice notes, including from scratch in complex areas of law.
- Providing knowledge support to business development initiatives, including prominent roles in the Headlights and Key Client initiatives of the Group.
- Preparing and delivering legal training to associates, partners and clients.
- Drafting high level material for external or internal publications and working with partners and PR to identify topics of interest and likely candidates for articles.
- Feeding into the team's know-how strategy and implementing such strategy by promoting the use of internal databases and search engines and by devising and implementing systems for know-how collection (research notes, transactional documents, training material etc.).
Specifically the Role's aims will include:
- Fostering and maintaining a Centre of Excellence of knowledge within the Projects and Construction sector areas within Norton Rose Fulbright.
- Drawing together the experience of the wider Norton Rose Fulbright practice and liaising with Knowledge Lawyers in other jurisdictions to pool knowledge in an appropriate way and to assist with development of business opportunities across the network.
Skills and Experience Required
Specific skills and experience:
Qualified lawyer with significant legal experience in major projects in the UK and internationally and operating at a senior level, with particular experience of construction and engineering contracts, operation and maintenance contracts, concession agreements and other commercial contracts used on major projects. This role will complement existing Knowledge Lawyers with specific experience in relation to finance documentation, disputes, mining and energy projects. It would be advantageous to have direct experience in the key areas where the existing projects/construction team operates, namely: infrastructure, PPP, energy, mining, transport and property development and particular expertise of working in an international environment.
The Senior Knowledge Lawyer role may from time to time involve a limited amount of transactional/advisory work to allow the Senior Knowledge Lawyer to continue to stay abreast of latest market developments and to better understand the needs of the team.
The Senior Knowledge Lawyer will be expected to:
- Become a go-to person for legal and contractual issues within the construction/projects teams
- Be self-motivated and commercial
- Have a level of gravitas and be able to influence those with whom they work
- Provide a value-added service for the teams being supported
- Be internationally minded and conscious of change in a fast-moving market
- See opportunities for the development of the business through knowledge and spearhead these
- Recognised as expert in specialist area
- Experience in drafting complex documents in plain language
- Ability to design and deliver successful, interesting and innovative training programmes, targeting to the audience
- Ability to work with a variety of personalities across all levels of the organisation
- Experience, or interest, in the collation, storage and delivery of knowledge
- Project management experience and demonstrated creativity in problem solving
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent legal research skills
- Exceptional organisational skills with an ability to demonstrate initiative and flexibility adapting to changing priorities.
- Strong client focus and demonstrated commitment to outstanding service delivery. Demonstrated team leadership skills.
- Demonstrated capacity for lucid and accurate reporting to management. Strong IT skills and familiarity with document management software.
- Ability to exercise judgement, high level of confidentiality and diplomacy at all times.
- Ability to work under pressure, both autonomously and as a team member.
- Demonstrates a high level of initiative, problem solving and decision-making and, where required, tenacity.
At Norton Rose Fulbright we welcome receiving direct candidate applications via our careers page.
If you would like to ask any specific questions beforehand, please contact
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Diversity and Inclusion
At Norton Rose Fulbright we value difference and promote a culture of respect for each individual. We encourage workforce diversity in all aspects and at all levels and in doing so create an environment where everyone can realise their full potential and career ambitions on the basis of merit and skill.
If you are unable to apply for a position online or require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, please contact our Recruitment team on
Norton Rose Fulbright UK has been awarded the Disability Two Ticks Symbol by Jobcentre Plus. The symbol identifies those employers who have agreed to meet five commitments regarding the recruitment, employment, retention and career development of disabled people.
We want to support your application as best we can. For that reason, we operate a Guaranteed Interview Scheme (GIS). This means that applicants with a disability need only meet the minimum qualifying criteria for a role to qualify for an interview under the scheme.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at Norton Rose Fulbright please click on the following link
Norton Rose Fulbright
Norton Rose Fulbright is a global law firm. We provide the world's pre-eminent corporations and financial institutions with a full business law service. We have more than 3800 lawyers based in over 50 cities across Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia.
Recognized for our industry focus, we are strong across the following key industry sectors: financial institutions; energy; infrastructure, mining and commodities; transport; technology and innovation; and life sciences and healthcare.
Wherever we are, we operate in accordance with our global business principles of quality, unity and integrity. We aim to provide the highest possible standard of legal service in each of our offices and to maintain that level of quality at every point of contact.
Norton Rose Fulbright LLP, Norton Rose Fulbright Australia, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP, Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa Inc and Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP, each of which is a separate legal entity, are members ('the Norton Rose Fulbright members') of Norton Rose Fulbright Verein, a Swiss Verein. Norton Rose Fulbright Verein helps coordinate the activities of the Norton Rose Fulbright members but does not itself provide legal services to clients.
Law around the world