Risk & Control Assessment Manager
Barclays is a transatlantic consumer, corporate and investment bank offering products and services across personal, corporate and investment banking, credit cards and wealth management, with a strong presence in our two home markets of the UK and the US.
With over 325 years of history and expertise in banking, Barclays operates in over 40 countries and employs approximately 130,000 people. Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide. Please visit our website here for more information.
ServCo COO - CRES & Procurement Risk & Control Team
ServCo COO CRES & Procurement Risk & Control Team is responsible for the governance, monitoring and assurance of risk and controls for CRES, Procurement and other areas in ServCo COO.
CRES operates within part of ServCo COO and is a centralised, global function, which support the business by delivering and operating it location and real estate strategy. CRES has an operational presence in over 50 countries. CRES is diverse in its specialisms covering everything from Location Strategy, Engineering, Facilities and Construction Project Management to Environmental Management, and Travel.
Procurement operates within ServCo COO and is responsible for working in partnership with Business Units and suppliers to deliver innovative solutions for Barclays, balancing costs against service levels and risks, enabling Barclays to achieve its ambition of becoming the bank of choice. Procurement is responsible for:
- Leveraging group wide spend to drive best value from suppliers and delivering value across Barclays
- Delivering effective global spend management across Barclays
- Setting the framework for Sourcing and Third-Party Supplier Risk Management and supporting the procurement and management of suppliers across Barclays in a consistent manner
- Operating a number of procurement systems and processes to support and control buying activities.
- The candidate will work in the "First Line of Defence" Risk team; the purpose and main objectives of the team are to ensure that:
- A sound control environment is maintained across CRES and Procurement
- The function maintains a robust approach to risk management and control
- A comprehensive, complete and mature set of control processes is established and operating
- Appropriate governance arrangements, tools and processes are in place to support the function's ability to maintain an effective control environment and healthy approach towards managing risk
- The Risk and Control AVP role has responsibility for:
- Understanding the CRES and Procurement services and operations, the underlying risks that the functions are impacted by and the associated control environment to help mitigate these risks
- Support risk and control assessment activities and assessing the effectiveness of the control environment, in an effort to ascertain whether it can sufficiently mitigate these risks
- Supporting the enhancement of the control environment by identifying risks and control weaknesses and improvements, whilst offering recommendations for the business to design solutions and implement if/as relevant
- Helping embed and drive compliance with the Enterprise Risk Management Framework (ERMF) and appropriate Operational Risk Standards requirements. This will require engagement with stakeholders, and First, Second, and Third lines of defence, as well as Risk and Control owners
- Support Head of Risk and Controls with completion of RCSA plan and activities
Risk and Control Assessment (60%)
- Support the development of a RCSA plan alongside Head of Risk and Controls
- Develop and maintain a full and accurate Controls Inventory that support RCSA and Controls Testing activities
- Support risk and control assessment and related activities in line with the ERMF, RCSA Standard, associated group-wide guidance and CRES and Procurement methodologies
- Deliver RCSA activities in line with plan for 2017 and in compliance with bank's requirements
- Own working files and ensure their quality, accuracy and completeness.
- Reconcile all relevant MI work documents to provide up to date risk position
- Support the business and provide robust guidance, advice and challenge across Group Operations
- Support completion of central risk and control assessment in line with risk assessment standard, related policy documents and local assessment tools
Risk and Control Effectiveness Reporting (20%)
- Assist to identify, assess and evaluate risks to ensure the execution of the enterprise risk management strategy
- Identify legal, operational and conduct risks requirements and organisational policies and standards to determine the potential impact on business objectives and risk and control self assessments
- Manage the risk and control assessment reporting process including reporting to senior stakeholders
- Develop and produce reports or presentations accurately that outline findings, explain risk positions, or recommend changes.
- Consider and suggest methods to improve risk analysis and report to the various Risk Forums, Risk Committees, etc
- Prepare, socialise and discuss risk assessment reports with stakeholders
Stakeholder Management (20%)
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with process and control owners and other stakeholders, and support them in understanding the results of our risk assessment and potential recommendations.
- Consider their perspective, actively listen and understand their operational role, and aim to add value through identifying the risks and assessing controls
- Offer risk subject matter expertise by presenting appropriate and pragmatic recommendations that will help improve the stakeholders' control environment and the approach towards managing risk
- Support engagement with Chief Controls Office, Second and Third 'Lines of Defence'.
The candidate needs to be flexible to support and deliver enhancements to the control environment.
All of the above needs to be in line with the overall objectives of the Barclays Group framework including the Barclays Guide and the Enterprise Risk Management Framework and in alignment with the Barclays Values.
- Robust understanding of risks and controls within a financial services firm / environment
- Very good ability to assess, quantify, and effectively communicate risks and controls
- Audit / controls testing experience
- Operational Risk and Control
- Auditing and Assurance / Controls Testing
- Excellent analytical skills, combined with ability to present complex data in a simple and clear way.
- Good understanding of relevant and up-to-date technical knowledge, applications and techniques.
- Maintains an understanding of Barclays' business strategic goals as well as knowledge of the financial services industry and best practices.
- Maintains an understanding of function's wide objectives, interactions, issues and risks.
- Works collaboratively with stakeholders
- They must have good attention to detail, be able to manipulate and present ideas, viewpoints and facts/data and be extremely organised to ensure reporting is delivered in a timely manner.
- Delivers to deadlines and quality requirements
Personal and Interpersonal Skills
- Good relationship building/maintenance skills across all levels
- Team player
- Clear communicator
- Strong work ethic and delivery focus
- Good influencing skills
Risk and Control Objective
All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards
Our customers deserve the best. The same goes for our employees. That's why at Barclays you'll receive a range of benefits that include a competitive salary and all the tools, technology and support you need to succeed.
Everything we do is shaped by the five values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship. The values inform the foundations of our relationships with customers and clients, but they also shape how we measure and reward the performance of our employees. Simply put, success is not just about what you achieve, but about how you achieve it.
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.
Barclays is an equal opportunity employer and are opposed to discrimination on any grounds.For more detailed information, please visit our dedicated Diversity and Inclusion site here .