Senior Government Relations & Policy Manager
Job Title: Senior Government Relations & Policy Manager
Location: Canary Wharf, London
The Senior Government Relations & Policy Manager is responsible for the Group's relationships with political and Governmental stakeholders worldwide, and for analysing and responding to emerging policy issues and advocacy on behalf of Barclays, its customers and clients on relevant matters.
• Maintain a deep understanding of the political and public policy landscape as it affects Barclays in the UK and the EU.
• Ensure senior level awareness of new and emerging issues and develop and implement advocacy in support of Barclays strategic objectives with senior political and Governmental stakeholders in global for Brussels, Westminster and Whitehall.
• Horizon scanning for new, emerging or changes in ongoing public policy developments that impact Barclays' strategic objectives, particularly in relation to policy affecting payments, cards, and digital issues.
• Analysing political and public policy developments that affect Barclays and proactively develop advocacy strategies and campaigns to influence the outcome of public policy and political developments.
• Advising senior management, including Barclays UK ('BUK') ExCo, on the impact of public policy developments and advocacy responses.
• Coordinating and writing responses, on behalf of Barclays, to Government consultation papers that affect Barclays.
• Maintain strong, working relationships with BUK business and functional teams, especially UK cards, and the parts of the business responsible for digital and payments, to ensure comprehensive coverage of public policy and reputational issues.
• Coordinate interactions and advocacy efforts on political, legislative and public policy developments from a BUK perspective.
• Develop and maintain strong relationships across Westminster, Whitehall, the industry and trade associations to stay abreast of developments and advocate on behalf of the business. Utilising or building networks in Brussels is also likely to be required, working closely with our team based over there.
• Good understanding of banking and ability to simplify messages, and make relevant arguments for external audiences; ability to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders working as part of a virtual team across the organisation; knowledge of or legislative systems, policy making and role of Government and officials in the demonstrable propensity to learn quickly the fundamentals of the UK and EU policy making process as well as general strong external communication skills.
• A strong understanding of policy, and or market developments, related to payments policy (including PSD2, Open Banking etc), data issues (e.g., GDPR, Big Data etc), credit cards, capabilities to become technically proficient at managing these issues, and fintech, digital banking etc would be desirable. Whilst not essential, the more, is required of the role.
• Experience of working with, or for, a government or parliament.
Barclays is a transatlantic consumer, corporate and investment bank offering products and services across personal, corporate and investment banking, credit cards and wealth management, with a strong presence in our two home markets of the UK and the US.
With over 325 years of history and expertise in banking, Barclays operates in over 40 countries and employs approximately 130,000 people. Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide.
Risk and Control Objective
All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
To be considered for this role, click on the apply button now.
Barclays Values & Diversity
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager. We are an equal opportunity employer and we are opposed to discrimination on any grounds. It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.