VP, BI Risk Oversight, Policy Oversight
Barclays is a transatlantic consumer, corporate and investment bank offering products and services across personal, corporate and investment banking, credit cards and wealth management, with a strong presence in our two home markets of the UK and the US.
With over 325 years of history and expertise in banking, Barclays operates in over 40 countries and employs approximately 130,000 people. Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide. Please visit our website here for more information.
Barclays Risk is mandated by the Barclays Board with the overall management and oversight of risk management practices group-wide. It operates right across the organisation, and right across the globe to protect Barclays financial performance and reputation. Our Risk professionals take the lead in addressing issues including the potential implications of an economic downturn or financial crime, and in advising Barclays' business leaders in making measured decisions.
The role is in BI Risk Oversight team (RO). The overall aim of RO is to partner our Risk colleagues at Group and BI level to deliver proactive risk identification, risk management and provide effective challenge driving the Risk Organization towards a strong and sustainable control environment, through:
- Strong independent assessment, challenge, and solutions together with our Risk colleagues, the Businesses and our Infrastructure partners.
- Anticipate, Prevent and Detect Risk and Control problems before they impact
- Design control solutions which are risk-appropriate, effective, efficient and reduce redundancy
- Proactively work across Risk and Business to share best practices, lessons learned and actions to avoid repeat issues
- Monitor risk , issues and action plans to drive accountability
- Policies and Standards issued by 2nd line of defence ("LOD") Risk as defined under Enterprise Risk Management Framework ("ERMF"), applicable to BI Risk functions reporting to the BI Chief Risk Officer ("CRO").
- Procedures issued by Risk functions reporting to the BI CRO, in respect of any Policy in place.
- Within BI Risk Oversight ( link here), the Policy Oversight function was created in 2017, with the purpose of driving quality, effectiveness and consistency across BI Risk Policies, Standards and Procedures. The role will encompass oversight at Group framework level to ensure accurate inclusion of businesses and entities in to the Scope. The role focus is a diverse and significant range of Risk-issued and Risk-impacting documentation with specific phases of delivery through flow and structural enhancement against global and regulatory contexts. Initial focus is BI Risk-owned policies, standards & procedures, ensuring detailed and structural review & challenge of documentation, working with stakeholders in the Risk teams for technical subject matter expertise, document owners and procedure/controls teams to ensure cohesive and practical approach from framework down to controls. The role will requires a high level of attention to detail whilst applying a strong strategic and structural lens, considerable influencing of owner/stakeholders, using strong-expert level drafting and document analysis skills. The role encompasses analysis/commentary of some MI pertaining to the documentation and related breaches at a senior business level, including working with individual issues management teams to understand/influence risk trends against policy compliance.
- Adherence to the Enterprise Risk Management Framework (ERMF) and to the Principal Risk Frameworks. Drive consistency of the policy framework, ensuring Policies, Standards & Procedures are clear, concise & practical. Challenge/influence change where appropriate.
- Maintain governance oversight to annual policy and standard updates. Monitor and track timeliness and status of policies, standards and procedure reviews; follow-up with policy writers/owners and escalate increased risk trends. Ensure owners maintain mappings between Policy and Standards. Ensure mappings between Standards (Key Controls) are being driven by the controls teams. Timely and appropriate follow up and escalation of trends or specific increased risks, including overdue items
- Review completeness and accuracy of framework inventory; engage owners accordingly. All in-Scope Policies and Standards to support senior management's oversight and governance of BI Risk.
- Innovate structural enhancements to the procedures and control environment working with 1LOD/2LOD; Group and BI teams to develop the clear connectivity from Framework down to controls/procedures
- Oversee revisions to BI Risk policies, standards and BI Risk procedures. Provide oversight to optimise quality, consistency and practical application of drafting. Act as a key contact for core functions across all lines of defence. Coordinate challenge and represent, if necessary, the BI Risk user teams.
- Defaults, Waivers, Breaches: Monitor and track management of DWBs of Policy and Standards, working with individual controls/issues management teams to assess trends, challenges to resolution or risk of overdues. Identify and escalate increased risk trends as appropriate and drive optimal outcomes across BI Risk
- Manage impacts arising from the integration of BI businesses into the Group and BI framework to ensure consistency. Provide framework level, structural and drafting subject matter expertise to key stakeholders. Review and challenge proposals, provide solutions as appropriate. Play a key leadership role in driving a cohesive approach and outcomes at BI and Group level
- Prepare and deliver MI and trend analysis or reports to BI Risk & Controls Committee and senior stakeholders on topics managed within the role
- Act as central point of reference for management of the team's document sharing tools
Stakeholder management and leadership
- Requires interaction with Managing Directors within Group Risk functions and BI Risk. This involves running stakeholder meetings either on a one-to-one basis or in broader groups or responding directly to requests from senior management, including the Chief Risk Officer and heads of functions within Risk.
Decision making and problem solving
- Role requires the individual to provide SME guidance in the design and execution of the framework.
- Proven very strong or expert-level business language (written and verbal) with proven drafting and document analysis/interpretation skills.
- Able to demonstrate a practical application of a document and drive improvements in context of a framework and the business impacted
- Proven track record across a range of risk related disciplines with a deep understanding of the risk lifecycle from a policy framework perspective
- Strong control mindset, with a clear understanding of the importance of a robust governance and control structure
- Strong capability to provide robust and balanced independent challenge
- Experience of developing procedures, policy, controls or governance frameworks and driving effective change either for strategic initiatives or for ad-hoc issues
- Ability to manage multiple stakeholders with competing priorities, maintaining a very strong focus on quality and practical application.
- Demonstrates strong self-assurance and ability to remain independent under pressure
- Highly organised and structured
- Able to work individually or as part of a team
- Demonstrated strong stakeholder influencing and management at all levels
- Demonstrated coordination and leadership skills, a proactive, self-driven motivator of others
- Strong legal or control/process/framework background
Risk and Control Objective
All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards
Our customers deserve the best. The same goes for our employees. That's why at Barclays you'll receive a range of benefits that include a competitive salary and all the tools, technology and support you need to succeed.
Everything we do is shaped by the five values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship. The values inform the foundations of our relationships with customers and clients, but they also shape how we measure and reward the performance of our employees. Simply put, success is not just about what you achieve, but about how you achieve it.
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.
Barclays is an equal opportunity employer and are opposed to discrimination on any grounds.For more detailed information, please visit our dedicated Diversity and Inclusion site here .