BCBS239 Governance Analyst
Barclays is a transatlantic consumer, corporate and investment bank offering products and services across personal, corporate and investment banking, credit cards and wealth management, with a strong presence in our two home markets of the UK and the US.
With over 325 years of history and expertise in banking, Barclays operates in over 40 countries and employs approximately 130,000 people. Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide. Please visit our website here for more information.
Barclays UK is a personal and business banking franchise with true scale, built around our customers' needs with innovation at its core. It comprises our UK retail banking operations, our UK consumer credit cards business, our UK-based wealth offering, and corporate banking for smaller businesses. With around 22 million retail customers, and almost one million business banking clients, we are a pre-eminent UK financial services provider. This division will become our UK ring-fenced bank by 2019.
Barclays UK Risk is part of Barclays UK organization, responsible to manage risk across products for the Community, Premier, Wealth UK and Business segments.
• The BCBS Control & Governance analyst has responsibility for contributing towards the establishment and maintenance of an independent validation and control testing framework across BUK which ensures compliance with BCBS guiding principles.
• The role is part of a small team which will focus on the BCBS c ontrol requirements but will have interaction with a wide range of senior stakeholders as they seek to build and embed a robust control framework which assesses whether the risk data aggregation and reporting processes are functioning as intended and are appropriate for the bank's risk profile.
• Role holder will be commercially astute with the curiosity and ability to understand the implications and significance of the information that they will be assessing in relation to BCBS requirements and have a strong control based background.
• They should also be able to communicate effectively through discussion and presentation (verbal and written) to a wide variety of stakeholders from different BUK Risk teams and functions.
• Build a control framework for the monitoring of BCBS compliance for BUK including a control testing and validation approach.
• Monitoring and reporting of BCBS compliance status and governance deliverables to senior management.
• Delivery of "no surprises" reporting by ensuring a proactive approach to the identification and management of control issues/weaknesses.
• Quality Assurance over BCBS process, control testing and policy adherence.
• Aligned approach with the other independent review activities within the bank's risk management program.
• Wider accountabilities refer to the overall risk control governance remit, including risk control governance activities. If necessary, the role accountability set will extend to the complete spectrum of governance, e.g. delivery of RCSA, KRA, Risk Event and Lessons Learnt management, policy/standard gap assessments, audit follow up management and corporate governance, amongst others (all included in ERMF).
• Assist in the development and rollout of a best practice in control frameworks across BUK.
• Design and monitor a proactive independent testing methodology for data reporting for BCBS processes.
• Ensure that BCBS reporting processes has appropriate controls that are regularly tested for operational effectiveness.
• Build and embed a quality assurance assessment process to ensure control standards are being met.
• Provide guidance and support for documentation of risks and controls pertinent to BCBS end to end process.
• Review and validate BUK's risk data aggregation and reporting processes to ensure functioning as intended and are appropriate for BUK's risk profile.
• Align and integrate validation processes with the other independent review activities within the risk management program regarding data aggregation and reporting processes (i.e. SOX).
• Experience of working in an operational risk area with governance experience preferable.
• Knowledge of Barclays ERMF and where relevant ability to gain expertise on legal/regulatory framework applicable to Barclays UK.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, demonstrated by ability to provide written and verbal feedback across the business including MD-level management.
• Appreciation of governance principles, business risk management concepts and methodologies, and strong understanding of ERMF pillars.
• Build strong relationships with key members of the business unit, to ensure alignment and accomplishments of goals in the corporate governance domain.
• Ability to challenge and influence stakeholders to comply with enterprise risk management requirements.
• Personal resilience, can-do attitude.
• Self-motivated with a strong work ethic and high standards of integrity, a real believer of Values.
• The set of stakeholders for this position is widespread across all areas of BUK and Risk Centre. It is therefore expected that the candidate will manage communication flow from the BUK Risk Governance area out to the Stakeholders' teams, ensuring that messages, requirements and outputs are understood and shared in a timely manner. Among the success factors, the candidate will demonstrate ability to:
o take an active role in team discussions and seek to contribute to positive outcome;
o listen to colleagues, internal clients and/or stakeholders and ensure work produced is / actions taken are in accordance with instructions received;
o keep colleagues, internal clients and/or relevant third parties regularly updated as to progress on particular tasks.
• The candidate is expected to possess problem solving capabilities leading to make decisions on the basis of limited data points and following pragmatic approaches. Maturity is expected to allow the candidate to think critically of viable and attainable options when decision is needed, ensuring full compliance to internal policies and governance requirements. More than based on pure technical skills, the candidate will be driven by knowledge in the governance/operational risk domain, coupled with ability to merge information datasets of different nature and propose course of action in a clear manner to management.
Risk and Control Objective
All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
Not applicable to this position.
Our customers deserve the best. The same goes for our employees. That's why at Barclays you'll receive a range of benefits that include a competitive salary and all the tools, technology and support you need to succeed.
Everything we do is shaped by the five values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship. The values inform the foundations of our relationships with customers and clients, but they also shape how we measure and reward the performance of our employees. Simply put, success is not just about what you achieve, but about how you achieve it.
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.
Barclays is an equal opportunity employer and are opposed to discrimination on any grounds.For more detailed information, please visit our dedicated Diversity and Inclusion site here .