Junior Treasury Funding and Risk Trader
BI Treasury Funding & Investments is responsible for the efficient funding needs of Barclays International, mitigating the cost of the liquidity pool, aggregating, hedging and managing interest rate risk on the banking book, and ensuring that the firm fulfills all of its relevant liquidity regulatory requirements.
The role's responsibilities include the following:
• Design and implementation of key TFI processes, including:
o Risk aggregation and hedging of interest rate risk the banking book
o Risk, P&L & Balance Sheet measurement and reporting
o Liquidity and interest rate risk management procedures across relevant currencies
o Funding activities - transacting in authorized money market instruments, with approved counterparties across a broad set of products (e.g. deposits, CDs/CP)
• Drive the design and implementation of the team's operating model and resulting interactions between the team and other Barclays' businesses and Treasury areas (e.g. Transfer Pricing and Capital Markets Execution).
• Execution of the Short Term funding plan for BI to ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements
• Foster both a prudential and commercial approach to funding and risk management activities partnering with multiple stakeholders
Key role responsibilities:
Execution and Process of Funding and Hedging activities
• Provide best execution to internal businesses, work with other experienced members of the teams to build and leverage market knowledge to recommend appropriate and flexible hedging and funding strategies
• Manage the Risk and PnL of the book within all applicable limits, in line with trading mandates and in compliance with all relevant Treasury & Barclays policies
• Perform analysis of the desk P&L, working with Product Control & Hedge Accounting to:
o extract key drivers and develop market related explains
o determine more efficient hedging strategies to optimize the P&L impact of banking book activity
• Accurate and timely forecasting of funding requirements to ensure compliance with all regulatory and internal stress requirements and/or metrics (RWA, min cash requirements and reporting requirements eg LRA, EMR), considering the future evolution of the firm's balance sheet
• Understand the drivers of the underlying cash positions to develop full comprehension of the balance sheet and ensure the appropriate pricing is applied
• Accurate and timely publication of interest rates to Business units to ensure adequate pricing to clients applies and correct P&L and risk management
• Understanding of the full life cycle of a trade, to ensure any challenges with bookings experienced on the desk can be overcome in a controlled and thorough manner
• Ability to execute across different trading platforms, currencies and asset classes, in complex and challenging conditions, to ensure thorough coverage of funding and hedging of all Business units supported
• Understand and operates within rigorous control and governance frameworks
Market Knowledge/trade decisions
• Act as an advisor to both internal Treasury businesses (e.g. Capital) and Business teams, sharing knowledge on markets, instruments and economics
• Leverage economic knowledge, team discussions and market awareness on rates, currencies and instruments to (i) recommend funding and hedging strategies to senior trader in the teams or desk head and (ii) act as a trusted advisor to stakeholders in Treasury (eg Capital, Transfer Pricing) and in the Banking Book business units
• Use awareness of the desk's objectives and risk limits to contribute to funding strategy ideas
• Leverage market understanding to consistently propose positive hedging ideas to the desk
• Develop ability to manage risk , through effective communication with other members of the team, senior stakeholders, and confident, comprehensive understanding of the firm's products, positions and risks
Business and product knowledge
• Build a comprehensive understanding of TFI and how the team interacts with other desks/Treasury teams to effectively manage the risk of the balance sheet and achieve sustainable returns for the firm
• Understanding of how funding moves through the bank from front-back
• Apply knowledge or interest rate markets and macroeconomics to hedging risk and funding decisions/strategies
• Has broad knowledge of the hedging of the banking book and transfer pricing processes
Stakeholder Management and Leadership
• Build and grow both internal and external networks to ensure best execution across funding, risk and investment
• Develop understanding of current industry practice, contributing to effective decision making in the funding, risk management and investment process, and ensuring best execution
• Participates actively in the firm's Citizenship programme, taking into account the needs of all our stakeholders and making decisions which, in the short and long-term, are positive for our customers and clients, shareholders, colleagues and the communities in which we operate
Decision-making and Problem Solving
• Proven numeracy and verbal reasoning skills
• Ability to apply market and desk knowledge to make decisions / improve processes
• Work collaboratively with teams across Treasury and partners with Business Managers and Infrastructure partner to drive changes, improve BAU processes and address key issues
• Support the team with various projects (as required) to ensure decision making is fully compliant with an evolving regulatory landscape and a rigorous control environment
o Experience in Financial Markets covering a combination of risk management controls, funding and trading
o Interest rate risk measurement, management, and execution, including Structural Hedging
o Knowledge of interest rate markets and products
o Awareness of hedge accounting
o Understanding of Transfer Pricing mechanisms and Treasury, more generally
o Basic knowledge of P&L calculation approaches, both Accrual and MTM, as well as standard Market Risk models such as Earnings at Risk and DVaR.
o Identification of process improvements and delivery of change requirements
o Experience of working within limits and a strong control framework
o Some experience of programming preferable (VBA, SQL)
o Demonstrated ability to deliver excellence in a high pressure environment
o Strong stakeholder management skills and ability to work across businesses and senior management
o Ability to identify and propose solutions to business requirements
o Works independently to deliver BAU and tactical projects
o Self motivated
o Strong analytical skills
Barclays is a transatlantic consumer, corporate and investment bank offering products and services across personal, corporate and investment banking, credit cards and wealth management, with a strong presence in our two home markets of the UK and the US.
With over 325 years of history and expertise in banking, Barclays operates in over 40 countries and employs approximately 130,000 people. Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide.
Risk and Control Objective
All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
To be considered for this role, click on the apply button now.
Barclays Values & Diversity
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager. We are an equal opportunity employer and we are opposed to discrimination on any grounds. It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.