AVP Cost Analytics BUK Costs
Barclays is a transatlantic consumer, corporate and investment bank offering products and services across personal, corporate and investment banking, credit cards and wealth management, with a strong presence in our two home markets of the UK and the US.
With over 325 years of history and expertise in banking, Barclays operates in over 40 countries and employs approximately 130,000 people. Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide. Please visit our website here for more information.
Barclays UK Cost Finance
is part of the wider Barclays UK Finance team, within the Group Finance Function. With a primary focus on the Operations & Technology and the Structural Reform Plan ("SRP") cost base managed by the BUK Chief Operating Officer ("COO"), the team also supports the wider remit of the Barclays UK Head of Cost, Melanie Campbell. This role is within the Barclays UK Cost Business Planning and Analytics ("BP&A") team.
Cost has become a key focus area/differentiator for Barclays and this role involves developing deep cost insight in BUK costs including BUK COO and will support strategy, planning and reporting in the BP&A team. The role supports as well as manages key BP&A processes to ensure all team commitments are met to an excellent quality standard.
- Financial Analysis & Performance Reporting for BUK Costs.
- Maintain best in class, efficient and robust controls, processes (including reconciliations) and systems to consolidate the results, forecasts and cost drivers in one place to leverage across the team and stakeholder matrix.
- Ad hoc analysis linking cost drivers with financial performance and support ad hoc Group Analysis on specific focus areas to support Investor Relations, Group Finance Director and Cost Board.
- Collation of outlook, risks and opportunities and the analysis into trends to anticipate future results.
- Support wider BP&A activity including transition to Service Company framework, planning, cost and strategy reviews.
- Day-to-day relationships and stakeholder management - influencing Finance Business Partners, CFO's, CEO / Head of Function and Business Unit, and BP&A teams.
- Operate financial controls in line with the agreed control framework, including SOX and regulatory control frameworks as applicable.
- Deputise for the BP&A lead where appropriate.
Analytics, Reporting, Business Insights and Decision Support
- Role requires the ability to produce high quality business analytics and apply robust financial judgement.
- Includes Analytical MI tasks on a regular basis (e.g. based around monthly/forecast cycle or business reviews) and in a reactionary capacity (e.g. for a Finance ManCo, Group Finance Director, Cost Board or Investor relations) to ensure all have full understanding of latest cost data and understand the latest performance positions.
- Assist with embedding key strategic changes into BP&A processes, such as the integration of Barclaycard into BUK and transition to Service Company setup.
- Reporting including interpreting past and projected future business performance, monitoring and evaluating actual to target performance. Includes adopting a new functional hierarchy (Transaction Cycles), billing model and process, full general ledger hierarchy, movement of assets/people and commercial agreements.
- Robust knowledge of source systems to facilitate data preparation in an efficient and effective manner.
- Collation & review of submitted outlook, risks and opportunities and the analysis into trends to anticipate future results.
- Provide Business specific reporting and analysis decks to support Cluster CFOs.
- Review, summarise and produce professional financial commentary on performance and present regular performance reports to BUK CFO, Business CFOs, recommending corrective action and performance improvement opportunities as appropriate.
- Develop internal relationships and business understanding of the key cost focus areas and the requirements for analysis in BUK Costs.
- Develop intelligence reports including benchmarking (on key metrics).
- Lead the innovation of Finance performance management through, creative and visionary solutions, designing and formulating innovative reporting and presentations that give greater cost transparency.
- Actively develops a culture of continuous improvement. Proactively reviews processes, controls, procedures and requirements on a regular basis, identifies areas for improvement and actively drives through the necessary reconciliations and process changes.
- Scenario modelling and analytics of the financial performance and forecast of the business area.
Strategy and Planning
- Participation in the financial modelling for the strategy, Medium Term Plan ("MTP") and Short Term Plan ("STP") processes through provision of financial projections and supporting driver data.
- Support in the preparation of analysis including preparing focused pages that are included in decks where business insight, strategy and plans are discussed.
- Support the planning team and processes where necessary during key planning cycle times.
- Identify and resolve inconsistencies in source data.
Relationship Management and Teamwork
- Ensure current procedures and guidelines are communicated throughout the FBP community as appropriate. The role will require a high-level of interpersonal skills including influencing, making central processes simple for FBPs to use and being able to communicate to stakeholders at all levels of the organisation.
- Work as an effective member of a team. Take personal responsibility to identify areas of performance improvement for self and team. Actively share knowledge learnt.
- Partner effectively with Barclays colleagues to leverage experience and skills (particularly working with BP&A team in different locations [e.g. Northampton and India]).
- Clear communications including the ability to convey complex data in a simple and easy to understand way.
- Challenge plans to meet appropriate cost targets, identifying areas for efficiency and tracking benefits.
- Delivering robust financial rigour to establish full control, optimisation of all risks and opportunities, and ensure that in conjunction with Financial Control, any audit or control issues identified are addressed and remediated in a timely and appropriate manner.
- All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
- Commercially minded, ideally with proven skills and experience in Planning and Analytics gained in: Front Office of an Investment Bank; Consulting / Big 4 Corporate Finance company; or specifically in the Planning & Analytics function of a large and complex global organization
- Professional accountancy qualification or equivalent relevant experience (ACA/CIMA/CFA)
- Strong modelling skills, and experience with tools such as a MS Excel (advanced skills required), Databases, SAP, etc.
- Strong MS PowerPoint skills - ability to communicate the story and provide executive reporting / communication (summarise large complex amounts of data into concise value add insights).
- Pro-active & able to operate effectively with ambiguity.
- Communication, influencing and negotiating skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work without further supervision.
- Financial industry or service sector background.
- Process implementation and improvement experience including experience of major structural change.
Our customers deserve the best. The same goes for our employees. That's why at Barclays you'll receive a range of benefits that include a competitive salary and all the tools, technology and support you need to succeed.
Everything we do is shaped by the five values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship. The values inform the foundations of our relationships with customers and clients, but they also shape how we measure and reward the performance of our employees. Simply put, success is not just about what you achieve, but about how you achieve it.
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.
Barclays is an equal opportunity employer and are opposed to discrimination on any grounds.For more detailed information, please visit our dedicated Diversity and Inclusion site here .
Risk and Control Objective
All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards