Senior Developer In Test - BBC Audience Platform
BBC Audience Platform is one of the BBC's biggest and most ambitious online projects. The ultimate aim being to personalise the online content, and engage more effectively with our audiences. Our services are transforming the BBC into a data driven organisation supporting the delivery of BBC's services such as iPlayer, News, Sport, CBBC/ CBeebies, Weather, Radio and TV, etc. Our tech stack is largely Java, Node.js and AWS.
In BBC Audience Platform we use the latest tech, with teams that inspire innovation and autonomy, and striving towards Continuous Delivery. Our products span the whole of the BBC and reach millions of users! Not only will you be working on great projects and with cutting edge technologies you will be surrounded by a team of like-minded Technology professionals from whom you can learn and grow. We regularly have Technical Brown bag sessions and try to have frequent Hackathons. This is an environment where we love to share ideas, challenge the traditional with our goal of taking the BBC on the journey to be a Digital First organization.
You will be part of one of the 6 Audience Platform Agile Scrum(ban) teams and will have the exciting challenge of building and maintaining automation tests.
Your role as a Quality advocate is a critical one for the team and its important that you understand and can advise wherever required, on best practises for Testing and Automation. Testing can be varied across these teams from Front end UI, a significant amount of RESTful API, Big Data in some and wherever required, Performance Testing with the likes of Gatling. The tool sets as well vary a bit across teams, but there's a fair bit of Java, Cucumber, and a bit of Selenium, and for performance testing - Scala(Gatling).
With a strive towards writing beautiful code that's test-driven and easy for the anyone in the team to pick up. The excitement doesn't purely end with automation tests though! You will have the opportunity to use all the tricks of the trade to achieve the best Quality for the products. Understanding the feature requirements inside out, using exploratory and innovative practises for manual testing you will be able to communicate as well as collaborate, effectively with the team as a whole.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience in Test Automation with Object Oriented Languages like Java
- Experience in at least one Behaviour Driven Test Framework e.g. Cucumber-JVM
- RESTful API Testing and Automation
- Recent Experience in Agile work practices
- Experience in Configuring CI environments
- TDD or Unit Testing
- Amazon Web Services
- Cross Platform Testing
Join us to deliver robust products at scale that in a modern AWS environment as part of a great multi-disciplinary agile team. Help us to deliver the solutions robustly and securely at scale - eg systems with more than 25,000tps, dealing with 2 billion data points in real time daily by the end of the year, delivering tens of millions of alerts in under a minute, and large scale events such as voting on Strictly Come Dancing and Glastonbury on iPlayer.
- Excellent career progression: the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious staff to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities: our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community: we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges : we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits: We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don't focus simply on what we do - we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you've read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You'll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.