Head of Business Intelligence and Analytics
• Experience of spend analysis implementation with a strong technical, problem solving and analytical mindset.
• Procurement related experience (as a solution provider, consultant or practitioner).
• Excellent Excel skills with high levels of numeracy and accuracy.
• Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and can communicate across all levels of procurement organisation.
• Proven track record in leadership and managing a team.
• Strong experience of spend data enrichment - e.g. rationalise vendor information, implement parent/child vendor relationships, implement category rules.
• Technical or numerical degree educated and/or relevant qualifications/experience.
• Good knowledge of visualisation software (e.g. Qlikview, Tableau etc).
• Knowledge of SQL database or equivalent.
• Understanding of the benefits of data warehousing, data architecture, data quality processes, fact and dimension tables, and data modelling.
• Ability to work well under pressure and maintain close attention to data.
• Experience of managing or working with offshore teams.
• Experience with SAP procurement solutions.
• Commercial competence - offering the best for both Procurement and GSK.
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is one of the world's leading research-based pharmaceutical companies. Our powerful combination of skills and resources provide the platform for delivering strong growth and the platform for responding quickly to the rapidly changing global healthcare environment. We are a science-led global healthcare company that researches and develops a broad range of innovative products in three primary areas of Pharmaceuticals, Vaccines and Consumer Healthcare. We have a significant global presence with commercial operations in more than 150 markets, a network of 86 manufacturing sites in 36 countries and large R&D centres in the UK, USA, Spain, Belgium and China.
Procurement is a pioneering, influencing function; with more than 800 members across 50 countries where we actively manage around GBP13bn of GSK's spend per annum across both direct and indirect categories. We influence the company's entire third-party expenditure, partnering with business units and driving value from supplier relationships to support GSK's strategies and targets.
Our greatest strength is our people; as our role evolves to support GSK's strategy more broadly we are evolving from a sole cost-cutting focus to embrace the additional roles of sourcing for growth, going beyond price and driving innovation for increased business value.
The Procurement function has recognized that it must increase capability in order to deliver improved savings to the business and a world-class service to its customers. As a result, roles and organizational structure have been realigned to suit the requirements of the future GSK organization and we are looking for high potential individuals who have the technical, behavioural and leadership qualities to make this a reality.
A new Business Intelligence & Analytics team is being formed, comprising both the existing Master Data Management (MDM) and & Business Intelligence (BI) team and a new capability to grow GSK's Procurement analytics to drive data-driven decision making. The purpose of the new team will be to manage procurement master data and deliver both business insights & analytics to procurement using interactive dashboards and visualisation tools. The team will also provide analytical support throughout the sourcing project lifecycle to improve the quality, efficiency and results of procurement activities and to help maximise opportunities.
Reporting into the Procurement Systems Owner, the Head of BI & Analytics will be responsible for continuous improvement of the MDM strategy and associated KPIs, delivery of the new Business Intelligence service of interactive dashboards (including a roadmap for future technology), and managing and growing the analytics leads for each Procurement Area.
The existing Master Data and Business Intelligence team is comprised of 3 GSK employees and a large offshore team to operate the end-to-end Procurement data and reporting management for all Procurement performance indicators, from extraction and data transformation/enrichment to visualisation in dashboards and analysis tools. The scope is global and covers various indicators and data analysis tools: Diverse Spend, eSourcing, Catalogue usage, Preferred Spend, Supplier base reduction, Savings, Risk, Contract KPIs, spend viewers, simulated scenarios, combined analytics.
The Procurement Analytics team is growing as different procurement areas look to embed analytical capabilities within their teams with support from dedicated analytical leads. The current scope is within the Commercial and Corporate Services teams, but looking to expand across all procurement category teams.
The successful candidate will be involved with a diverse range of activities including:
• Maintain the GSK Virtual Supplier Master (VSM).
• Ensure integrity and transparency of the data sources and manipulation steps across all systems including legacy systems.
• Normalisation, standardisation, transformation and enrichment of the existing datasets.
• Ensure scheduled reports / dashboards are published for Procurement performance monitoring and management.
• Work with outsource partner to ensure smooth running of BI service line activities, and continuous improvement in effort/resource allocation.
• Develop awareness & adoption of the BI service line.
• Work closely with the Performance Improvement team in ensuring insights are shared and actioned.
• Work closely with procurement to deploy new analytics solutions and processes within the category management teams.
• Implement and oversee the different analytical strategies, approaches and methodologies.
• Provide actionable insights to procurement and the business using multiple data sources.
• Lead and develop the Procurement Analytics Centre of Excellence..
• Deliver significant value to procurement using analytics.
• Develop business cases for increasing capacity of team to expand across all procurement areas.
BI & Analytics Roadmap
• Create a 2-year roadmap for Business Intelligence and Analytics technology both globally and category specific (e.g. Predictive analytics, chatbots).
• Investigate and select future Visualisation software.
• Consider different automation opportunities within BI and pilot suitable solutions.
Team & Line Management
• Task management within both the BI & Analytics teams.
• Individual career management of all direct reports.
• Ensure the team remains high performing & highly motivated.
Closing date for applications: Monday 18th September 2017
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process.
If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact . This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the on-line application to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above.
The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.