Business Improvement Implementation Manager
At Pearson, we're committed to a world that's always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it's one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology - and each other to surpass these boundaries - we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world's innovations, personal and global, large and small.
A primary focus of the Business Improvement Manager (BIM) is responsibility for supporting the business in implementing a quality management system compliant with ISO 9001 (quality management) and an information security management system compliant with ISO 27001 (Information Security). This is done through promoting good practice and a culture of excellence across the business and by training and influencing staff. Close relationships are maintained with the global information security and data privacy functions to ensure global requirements are applied locally.
The Business Improvement Manager prepares for and facilitates third party audits against ISO 9001 and 27001. They lead on business improvement activity in preparation for, or resulting from those audits. This will include cross-business projects and gap analysis work.
The role also involves supporting other functions in maintaining compliance with regulatory requirements and ISO 22301 (Business Continuity).
Functionally, this role is part of Pearson Qualification Services (PQS) the largest awarding body in the UK. It develops a diverse range of academic and vocational qualifications, prepares course specifications, assesses and examines, provides quality control of qualifications, certifies achievement and offers support services. The Business Improvement Manager reports to the Head of Audit and Quality, within the Business Improvement and Regulation (BIR) division supporting the activities of the team and leading other team members as appropriate.
Key Role-Specific Deliverables
- Leading on the implementation and maintenance of an information security management system compliant with the requirements of ISO 27001 (Information Security).
- Leading on the implementation and maintenance of a quality management system compliant with the requirements of ISO 9001 (Quality Management).
- Working closely with internal stakeholders including the global Pearson information security, data privacy and business continuity functions to ensure business processes are aligned with global policies on information security and data privacy, and meets the requirements of ISO 27001.
- Conducting gap analysis against business standards.
- Promoting good practice across the business by influencing behaviours across all levels of the organisation.
- Managing external audits for ISO business standards and ensuring findings are addressed.
- Designing, managing and delivering improvement projects as required, including those identified by internal audits or key stakeholders.
- Training and supervision of members of staff across all levels of the organisation as required to maintain a strong culture of quality management and information security.
- Reviewing, maintaining and developing procedures, policies and documentation in relation to external business standards.
- Provision of appropriate management information to the Head of Audit and Quality, Director of BIR and other senior management as required.
- Leading on the preparation and delivery of management review.
- Participate in, and lead when appropriate, cross-departmental monitoring and project activity.
- The Business Improvement Manager supports the broader work of BIR by working across the various functions when required to do so.
- Prepare and implement a programme to enhance business awareness and skills required to develop and maintain effective information security management, and quality management
- Preparation and delivery of training to members of staff across all levels of the organisation as required to maintain a strong culture of quality management and information security.
- Work with internal stakeholders in the information security, data privacy and business continuity functions to understand and keep up to date with global policies in these areas, in order to ensure that business processes and working practices are aligned.
- Manage the external audit programme, including liaison with external agencies such as ISO Certification bodies and regulators
- Lead on or provide advice and assistance with the development and implementation of processes, policies and procedures required for information security and quality management systems as a result of reviews of current business practices
- Identify best practice and recommend and promote practical and cost-effective actions for improving the effectiveness of business systems and processes.
- Work alongside management to deliver and implement pragmatic, commercial action plans and project plans. Monitor and support these actions through to implementation.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing with internal and external colleagues, customers and senior managers.
- Undertake the lead or support of specific projects as required by line management.
- Lead on preparation and delivery of management review.
- Perform supervisory responsibilities in accordance with good practice and the Pearson people manager policies.
Previous Work Experience
- Experience of maintaining a quality and/or information security management system
- Experience of implementing ISO 27001, ISO 9001 or equivalent
- Experience of business improvement, such as process improvement activities
- Experience of delivering training, presentations and building a culture of business excellence
- Experience of writing briefings, reports and business correspondence
- Experience of influencing staff and senior management to foster organisational change
- Experience of managing large scale cross-business improvement projects
- Experience of working in a regulated environment
- Information security management background
- Experience of implementing Cyber Essentials controls
- Experience of working with other ISO standards such as ISO 22301
- People management skills
Systems, Tools & IT Literacy
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel
- Understanding of process mapping
- Experience of using Google mail
Education, Qualifications & Training
- Strong educational background
- Excellent analytical and communication skills
- Training on ISO 9001 and/or ISO 27001 standards or equivalent Quality and/or Information Security standards or practices
- Training on the implementation of ISO 9001 and/or ISO 27001 standards or equivalent
- Knowledge of ISO 22301
- Training on the implementation of Cyber Essential
- Training on a project management approach
- Certified in Six Sigma methodology or other process quality tools