Head of Health, Safety and Environment
At British Land we manage, develop and finance a portfolio of high quality properties. We are a FTSE100 company structured as a Real Estate Investment Trust. Places People Prefer is at the heart of what we do, we create outstanding places that make a positive difference to people's everyday lives. We are proud of the scale of our portfolio: Nearly 100,000 people live or work in our properties. They are visited around 350 million times each year and over 1,000 different organisations have chosen of our properties as their home. We have GBP19.0bn assets under management of which we own GBP13.9bn; our portfolio includes UK retail, Central London offices and prime residential. We have a small head office of around 250 people and outsource many aspects of our business; the size of our team encourages increased responsibility and entrepreneurialism.
Provide leadership and direction to drive continuous improvement in health, safety and related environmental management across the business, ensuring legislative obligations are met. Facilitate the ongoing development of innovative policies and practices to ensure that the business is a leader in the field of health and safety management. Provide advice, support and guidance at Director and Senior Manager level on all matters of legal compliance regarding health, safety and related environmental management.
- To act as advisor to the Senior Management of the business on matters relating to the environmental aspects of health and safety and associated legislation (examples would include the impact of radiation, asbestos, legionella, hazardous waste, fire water run-off etc.).
- To facilitate the ongoing development of innovative policies and practices to ensure that the business is a leader in the field of health, safety and related environment management.
- To raise the profile of health, safety and environmental protection and undertake an organisational role in co-ordinating and embedding a positive safety culture across the business.
- To work in partnership with others to help ensure that health and safety is proactively taken into consideration where relevant, at the planning stage of any new initiative.
- To provide regular reports and advice to the Risk Committee on health, safety and environmental matters.
- To chair the corporate health, safety and environment committee to enable the committee to fulfill its role in an efficient and effective manner.
- To enable the development and delivery of training in health, safety and related environment matters including first-aid at work training and refresher training to meet the needs of departments across the business.
- To liaise with and direct external health and safety organisations and be a point of contact for health and safety and environment enforcement agencies.
- To be a key point of contact to staff responsible for the design and construction of new buildings, and for the modification of existing buildings, on matters which affect health & safety.
- To put in place measures to audit, monitor and review health, safety and environmental management practices for legislative compliance including ensuring the continued OSHAS accreditation of the business's health & safety management system.
- To enable the investigation of accidents and compilation of accident data; to co-operate with staff responsible for insurance and other related matters.
- Chartered member of IOSH
- NEBOSH Diploma in general health and safety or similar
- Qualification in construction health and safety or similar
- NEBOSH qualification in Environmental Management or similar
- Comprehensive knowledge of health and safety and related environmental legislation
- Experience in a senior role in health, safety and environment within a comparable organisation.
- Computer literacy enabling the effective use of the Microsoft suite of packages
- Ability to liaise with appropriate regulatory authorities for Health and Safety, Environment and Fire
- High level of interpersonal skill with an effective and flexible interpersonal style to ensure influence and credibility with senior managers, staff and the external supply chain.
- Excellent written and verbal skills in order to work with, provide advice to, train, and promote excellence in health and safety.
- Proactive with ability to initiate projects and activities which will improve the health safety and environmental performance of the business.
- Able to motivate to improved performance, both within the business and across the wider supply chain.
British Land employees are committed to promoting an inclusive, positive and collaborative culture. Our values underpin everything we do.
Please note that we endeavour to get back to all applicants within 28 days. If you haven't heard from us within this period, please assume that you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.