Senior Science Communication Manager (Funding Innovation)
Senior Research Information Manager (Funding Innovation)
At Cancer Research UK we're on a mission to revolutionise the way we leverage income against our research portfolio. We need an expert science communicator to oversee the identification and development of compelling research stories to engage and inspire a new generation of supporters to help us beat cancer sooner.
As the world's largest independent cancer research organisation, each year we invest more than GBP350m on pioneering research. To fund this work we rely on the generous support of philanthropists, partners, and supporters - and it's critical that we can connect them with our research in creative ways compelling them to support us now and in the future.
To help reach our ambition of 3 in 4 people surviving cancer by 2034 we're embarking upon an ambitious GBP1bn global fundraising campaign and we're looking for a sophisticated science communicator to help lead the team responsible for surfacing and packaging our research into compelling fundraising propositions.
Bridging the interface between funding and fundraising you'll:
- Lead a team of science communicators responsible for identifying and generating content which aligns with CRUK's research strategy in support of fundraising
- Work with funding teams to access current and prospective research investment opportunities
- Partner with fundraising teams to co-create compelling propositions
- Establish and maintain relationships at all levels within the research community in support of fundraising
- Implement training to upskill fundraisers in their understanding of the research portfolio
- Develop, support, and coach the team empowering it to deliver a complex agenda of science communication, proposition development, training, and presentation
You will be proactive and not afraid to suggest new ideas or pursue different ways of working which maximise opportunities for CRUK to leverage income against the research portfolio. The scope of the challenge is significant and you will be:
- A highly experienced science communicator with a passion for research - familiar with the funding and fundraising landscape and able to converse on a broad range of scientific topics with confidence and credibility at a senior level, both externally and internally
- Highly organised, self-motivated, with the ability to work independently and as part of a team to challenging deadlines
- Determined to make a difference - contributing positively beyond your immediate function whilst appreciating the impact of your role on CRUK's wider strategy
We need smart, brave thinkers who share our passion and determination to deliver a complex research agenda which with your help will see 3 in 4 patients surviving cancer by 2034.
This is a 12 month fixed term contract.
Closing date: Tuesday 19th September
Interviews: W/C 25th September
This role is known internally as Senior Research Information Manager