Digital Performance Marketing Manager
In a nutshell
This role runs the team that designs, plans, executes, and measures, all the digital performance marketing for the Sainsbury's ecommerce sites. You will use paid social, native, affiliates, display, and paid and natural search channels to drive traffic, transactions and sales for our Groceries online (GOL) and also support our Clothing online (COL) business with these channels.
You will also be the expert in natural and paid search for the broader Sainsbury's Marketing team, advising your colleagues on the best way to use this channel.
You will manage a team of 3 direct reports, be responsible for a cost budget of >GBP10m and own digital performance marketing for a business of well over GBP1bn annual sales.
What I need to do
- This person will own the annual digital performance marketing plans for both GOL and COL within digital marketing channels, building, shaping, and delivering them. They will agree an annual budget spend and plan how this will deliver traffic, conversion and sales on an annual, quarterly and weekly basis.
- This role is highly commercial and business-focused, and the candidate will be heavily involved with the commercial teams for our ecommerce businesses, working with them on the right shape and approach for activity given specific business needs. The budget behind this role is substantial (>GBP10m) and so managing this budget and spending for the best return on investment is key.
- Performance marketing for groceries online is in relative infancy, so a big part of this role is working out what new opportunities we will pursue to support the GOL business. This may involve making recommendations about new tech to implement, bringing in new partners or areas of focus, and developing new creative targeting approaches.
- This role will own the affiliates channel, utilising this channel to deliver weekly sales for our GOL and COL businesses. They should review our existing network of affiliates and provide recommendations on who we should work with, ensure commercial deals are in place and optimise these channels on a quarterly and weekly basis.
- The person in this role will be an internal expert on SEO and PPC, working closely with Google, our media agencies, and other 3rd parties to ensure Sainsbury's is utilising best practice in these search channels.
- The person in this role will also develop our approach to digital performance marketing content in display, native, and paid social channels. There is substantial ambition in the business to do more here and there is a lot of opportunity to make a mark on the business.
- Build deep knowledge of a digital marketing and affiliates channels. Leverage all group and industry knowledge to ensure you become an expert.
- Have strong commercial and analytical skills to work with internal trading teams and agency specialists to build plans.
- Being able to respond to things quickly and proactively: Sainsbury's is a 24/7 organisation and decisions are made at pace. Being reactive is key in retail so you should be comfortable in a fast environment (and enjoy it!)
- Strong influencing skills to work with a number of internal stakeholders.
- Most importantly to build strong relationships with D&T and GOL/COL teams to ensure the platform enhancements we require are prioritised and that our stakeholders have faith in the work we do.
- The ability to manage upwards, explaining complicated concepts and technicalities to senior and non-technical audiences
- Be able to work in a matrix environment where you will own channels that support a number of programmes, and deliver programmes that are supported by other channels. The ability to work closely with peers at a C5 level.
- Ability to manage and coach direct reports.
- Experience at using digital performance marketing channels to build an online business, however outstanding candidates with a strong knowledge of targeted marketing are encouraged to apply and would be given the right development plan to build their digital skills.
- How to deliver targeted marketing campaigns that are strongly aligned to delivering weekly commercial objectives and manage a cost and a sales budget ongoing - both across the year and in-week.
- How to influence senior business stakeholders and create advocates for a new type of marketing within the business.
- Commercial acumen: both budget management and also delivering ROI on spend.
- Knowledge of performance/ direct response digital marketing: the technicalities of how the channels work and how marketing campaigns within them can be made more effective, the right approach to creative and targeting development, how to react and optimise campaigns that are in flight.
- Strong team leadership and strong stakeholder management skills
- Clear thinking and a proactive approach to getting things done
- Agency and supplier management: performance, risk, relationship.
- Enthusiasm for execution; attention to detail and passion for customers (a customer nose).
- Team of 3 direct reports
- Budget of >GBP10m
- Substantial agency resource (media and creative)
- Internal analytical support with targeting, measurement, and reporting
- How to invest our digital performance marketing budget for Sainsbury's ecommerce platforms on a day to day and annual basis
- Which longer term projects to support and broaden our digital marketing ability we should focus on eg around data platforms, in-house vs outsourcing resource model, approach to creative execution and expertise