Head of Experimental Cancer Medicine Centres Programme Office
Are you an inspirational leader who would like to help shape the future of how we deliver cancer research in the UK? Cancer Research UK is leading pioneering, life-saving research and our long-term ambition is to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured. Along with the health departments from all the devolved nations, we co-fund a network of Experimental Cancer Medicine Centres (ECMCs) across the UK, that are dedicated to supporting pioneering, early-stage clinical trials and translation of scientific discoveries into new cancer treatments for adult and paediatric patients.
Now we are looking for a strategic thinker with a proven track record of delivery to provide maternity cover for the Head of the ECMC team to???
- Lead a highly motivated, value-adding team to drive the strategic and operational development of the ECMC network
- Oversee development of the first ECMC Network Strategy
- Development and implementation of a strategy to drive industry engagement with the network
- Ensuring that the Paediatric network is set up for success
- Drive the next phase of the Combinations Alliance, seeking new partners and drugs for the partnership, exploring additional models and improving delivery of studies.
You will play a leading role in the evolution of ECMCs to better facilitate translation and multidisciplinary collaboration. This is a really exciting time to lead this team as this is the first and crucial year in a new funding cycle. Whist there is a clear high level plan for the Programme Office in place, there will be scope to adapt as projects develop.
To deliver this, you will be;
- An experienced leader with an understanding of the UK biomedical research sector
- Able to present an exciting and motivating vision for your team; lead them through uncertainty and be accountable for their delivery
- An excellent communicator, able to manage relationships and build credibility with multiple stakeholders both internally and externally
- Able to develop and interpret strategic forward looking plans; specify priorities for the team and use data to help inform direction of travel
- Able to negotiate and manage sensitive and crucial relationships with other organisations, government departments and academics
You'll also need a strong science background, ideally to PhD level or equivalent and preferably experience of working in or with a biotech or pharmaceutical company, government department or biomedical charity. If you're as ambitious as we are, join our collective force and enjoy an excellent career, as we save lives and add years.
This is a 12 month fixed term contract