Lead Solution Architect
In a nutshell
Sainsbury's is a data rich business - with information collected from consumers, suppliers and colleagues. We believe that there is huge value in these data in driving value for our customers and, in turn, value for our shareholders.
This role will, in a nutshell, lead a DACE Solution Architecture team with associated process, standard and principles, ultimately to make great quality, well understood data available to the applications and people that can then drive analytics and insights into the business.
The role will involve working across a mix of traditional UX, Online, RDBMS, Big Data and new open source platforms with a range of tools and technologies, utilising them in the most appropriate manner to deliver results while developing a strategic capability.
The fundamental principle is that data is a corporate asset and, as such, we need to manage and govern it in a way which creates value from that asset.
What I need to do
- Creation of solution designs to meet business needs and move towards end state architecture
- Identify and implement the appropriate approach to architecting solution designs for the DACE team
- Create the flexibility to undertake standard solution design as well as support rapid discovery, prototyping and data science, that can subsequently be turned into production solutions
- Implement an approach to triage and impact assess requirements to estimate timelines, resource needs, costs and dependencies
- Implement the operating model for the solution design team and how that works in Matrix with other functions key to successful development of solutions
- Implement demand and delivery processes, principles and standards
- Identify appropriate artefacts to be created and managed by the team
- Identify the appropriate toolsets and applications to meet the needs
- Create a strategy to technically specify and design cost effective capabilities
- Line Management responsibility for team of Solution Architects, including recruitment, coaching and mentoring of colleagues, developing the capability of the team and managing workload, ensuring the team is achieving our vision
- Agree operating model with D&T colleagues to document technical requirements, identify key data needs and design end to end solutions
- Design best practice tagging and tracking analytical solutions
- Prioritise and manage internal, contract and third party resources
- Balance resources between core strategic capability development and commercial solutions
- Where appropriate, enable the de-commissioning of legacy data environments.
- Ensure that documentation evolves through the process
- Manage a team that focusses on value creation from data across the enterprise and enables changes to our data assets in a timely and cost-effective way.
- Ensure solutions are documented, communicated and updated
- Act as the escalation route for Solution Architects to help resolve issues
- Create a great working relationship with all those involved in the end to end scoping, design, development and delivery for solutions in the analysis, reporting, data science and UX areas
- Work very closely with the D&T (IT) infrastructure and software development teams to ensure that appropriate end to end designs are created
- Recruiting, leading and inspiring a team capable of delivering
- Ensure that the team work as pro-active members of matrix delivery teams
- Being focussed on driving value back into the business
- Managing a complex mix of work within tight timescales and budgets in an agile way that ensures maximising our value opportunity (time to value).
- Be seen to be the 'can-do' enabler for the user community
- Be a subject matter expert of all traditional, online, UX and Big Data capabilities and understand which solutions to use in what context for the best outcome.
- Strive to become a luminary in solution design leadership
- Develop and utilise your existing network within and outside of the open source community to share, learn, develop new and enhance existing capabilities.
- Clearly a detailed knowledge of the tools, technologies, skills and processes required to deliver a complex and complete solution architecture capability for the business.
- Detailed understanding of design and development of digital data layers, data stores and data warehouses and associated toolsets.
- Strong knowledge and use of technical specification, data modelling, tagging and solution design toolsets, methodologies and process
- Deep experience or knowledge in foundational information management arenas, such as Master Data Management, Data Governance, Modern Data Architecture, and Data Integration
- Experience in Data Architecture/Modeling, ETL, Data Quality and MDM tools
- Knowledge and ideally experience working in both traditional rdbms and open source, big-data environments
- Ideally knowledge of a selection of the following that make up our capabilities - (Hadoop (Cloudera a plus), Spark, Hive, Impala, Data Formats, Kafka, Python, Scala, etc.) and traditional data warehouses/toolsets (Teradata, AbInitio, WhereScape, SQL server etc)
- Knowledge of online, tagging and tracking capabilities and solutions
- Understand best practice in digital analytics for all platforms: web, native apps and single page applications and how to design web analytics solutions within a container tag solution
- Experience with tag management systems (ideally Signal or Tealium) and experience with enterprise analytics systems (e.g. Adobe SiteCatalyst)
- An understanding of design and development in the cloud (AWS a plus), and the services available
- A deep understanding and experience of working in a mix of delivery methodologies including Agile, Scrum and Waterfall
- A broad understanding of the applications of data from reporting through to data science
What I need to show
- Be a strong team player and willing to work in matrix teams
- Exemplary and inspiring technical specification, design and leadership skills
- The desire to mentor, coach and develop team members
- The passion, drive and commitment to succeed in a fast-moving environment
- A proven track record of designing solutions in a large scale, complex business across multiple platforms
- A desire to design solutions that are flexible and deliver value to the business
- People - an appropriately sized and skilled team with a manager focussed on helping you develop and succeed
- Development Community - An energised development community keen to turn your designs into solutions
- Toolsets - A strong mix of more traditional, digital and new big data, open source capabilities
- A budget - both CAPEX and OPEX to deliver the various programmes
- A wholly engaged business and end user community who want to drive value through data science, analysis, digital analysis and reporting
- The access to appropriate third party resources
- The solution architecture for the function
- Prioritisation and management of workload
- Target operating model
- Recruitment and development of your team
- Supplier strategy (working with key stakeholders engaged)