Scrum Master (Data Analytics)
In a nutshell
Sainsbury's is a data rich business - with information collected from consumers, suppliers and colleagues. We believe that there is huge value in these data in driving value for our customers and, in turn, value for our shareholders.
This role will be to act as a Scrum Master that coordinates the development of end to end solutions within the Data and Analytics Centre of Excellence (DACE).
The role will involve working across a mix of traditional RDBMS, Big Data, digital and new open source platforms with a range of tools and technologies.
What I need to do
- Support the day to day running of the scrum team through standup meetings
- Coach and mentor the team to instil an agile approach and culture
- Ensure blockers are removed from the sprints so that the team can run efficiently
- Contribute at a senior level on all business problems
- Work with business partners and owners to prioritise the backlog and build the sprint plans
- Implement a process to measure the capacity of the scrum teams to ensure sprint success
- Manage workload of up to 3 scrum teams simultaneously
- Act as an advocate for scrum at Sainsbury's to help drive culture change
- Ensure team delivers tasks on time and to quality
- Assessing the Scrum Maturity of the team and coaching them to higher levels of maturity
- Removing impediments or guiding the team to remove impediments by finding the right personnel to remove the impediment.
- Building a trusting and safe environment where problems can be raised without blame or being judged, with an emphasis of healing and problem solving.
- Facilitating getting the work done without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work.
- Facilitating discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution
- Planning the workload of the scrum teams from a day to day point of view, and managing the capacity of the sprints to ensure successful delivery
- Be a great team player and demonstrate participation with the teams you work in
- Strong organisation skills and the ability to follow defined processes
- Be inquisitive
- Be pro-active, suggest new approaches and develop your capabilities
- Share what you are good at while learning from others to improve the team overall
- Show that you have a certain level of understanding for a number of technical skills, attitudes and behaviours.
- Proactively seeking opportunities to improve your knowledge and abilities
- Full understanding of Agile methodology
- How to work with others and get the best out of them
- How to be diplomatic while in negotiations & troubleshooting
- Right approaches to maintaining a high standard of attention to detail with clarity of communication.
- Ideally first level Scrum Master certification (CSM, PSM I)
- Experience playing the Scrum Master role within an agile environment applying Scrum principles, practices, and theory.
- Knowledge of numerous well documented patterns and techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum approach (example: numerous Burndown techniques, numerous Retrospective formats, handling bugs, etc)
- Understand the full BI project cycle covering both ETL batch processing and reporting
- Knowledge or experience working in environments with digital toolsets, open source or traditional rdbms technologies a bonus
- Solid understanding of the applications of data from reporting through to data science
- Ability to guide the team on how to use Agile/Scrum practices and values to delight customers
- Coach the team on how to get the most out of self-organisation
- Good communication skills internally and externally to improve transparency and share information
- Good approach to supporting and educating the business owner, especially with respect to developing and maintaining the product backlog.
- How to provide all support to the team using a servant leadership style whenever possible, and leading by example
- Skills and techniques to coach teams in understanding and applying Scrum
- Good knowledge of business intelligence capabilities such as reporting, analytics and data science.
- Initiative and curiosity when it comes to understanding data
- Logical approach to problem solving, with attention to detail
- Able to explain technical concepts in simple terms to a non-technical audience and vice versa.
- Growth mind-set: Look for chances to grow your knowledge and skills and you're open to feedback.
- Willingness to take charge of your own development and believe that effort leads to success
- Team-working: You have a positive attitude and enjoy working in a team to achieve success together
- People - Appropriate teams with the right mix of skills, knowledge and experience
- Development - A line manager and an appropriately sized and skilled team to work with and help you develop
- Toolsets - A strong mix of more traditional and new big data, open source capabilities
- A wholly engaged business - keen to have 'data sorted' and equally keen to help
- All decisions in conjunction with the Development Manager that improves efficiency, cohesion of the day to day running of the Scrum(s)
- Anything that helps with resolving impediments
- Enforce timeboxes
- Anything that helps with the maturity of the Scrum(s)
- Input into development processes and team meetings
- Follow through of tasks and resolution to issues