Corporate Communications Manager
Organisation and Programme
National Citizen Service (NCS) is a once in a lifetime experience for 16 and 17 year olds - they take part in outdoor activities, meet new people and have the chance to give something back to their communities. Through NCS, their confidence grows as they learn new skills that they can put on CVs and university and college applications.
NCS runs across England and Northern Ireland in the summer and during academic breaks in autumn and spring. It is a flagship voluntary programme for 16 and 17 year olds, which aims to create:
- A more engaged society - by enabling young people to work together on social action projects in and with their communities.
- A more cohesive society - by mixing young people of different genders, places, ethnicities, religions, abilities, and socio-economic and educational backgrounds with each other and older generations
- A more responsible society - by supporting young people's transition to adulthood through personal social development, challenging activities and guided reflection.
NCS is a Non-Profit Community Interest Company established by the Cabinet Office to drive and deliver the NCS Programme. NCS has grown rapidly since the Programme was piloted in 2011 and 2012, and an estimated 93, and 17 year olds took part in NCS in 2016.
NCS is headed by a dynamic Chief Executive Officer, Michael Lynas, who has contributed to the creation of the vision and early delivery of the Programme which Government now requires to be expanded exponentially over the next five years.
Current annual turnover exceeds GBP200M GBP. NCS is in the process of becoming a Royal Charter Body.
David Cameron has recently been appointed the Chair of the Patrons.
We are currently recruiting for a Corporate Communications Manager to play a central role within the newly established NCS PR team. Helping to shape and deliver the corporate communications strategy and build the internal PR capability, this individual will have the drive, experience and insights to fully support NCS as it moves from being a Community Interest Company to a Royal Charter Body.
The successful candidate will work closely with the Head of PR and Corporate Communications in the London based NCS Trust office to deliver a proactive and reactive corporate communications strategy to build awareness and understanding of NCS amongst key stakeholder groups, both internal and external to the Trust.
You will bring your extensive experience of managing an in-house corporate media office including responsibility for delivering corporate social communications and feel confident working at a senior level independently. You will liaise closely with all areas of the organisation to understand and deliver their, often complex, corporate communication requirements in a timely, organised and impactful way. Experience in Public Affairs and a natural interest and understanding of the workings of Westminster is preferred.
With responsibility for managing content for the corporate communications channels, this role will require an encyclopedic understanding of our varied corporate stakeholders and the most appropriate ways of communicating with them in a timely and impactful way.
In this role you will:
- Act as a first point of contact for corporate media and stakeholder enquiries
- Work closely with the wider PR teams to proactively and reactively manage corporate PR activities and journalist enquiries
- Be reactive and responsive to ad hoc communications requests. Prepare succinct briefings and responses in a timely manner for the wider Trust
- Develop and run an effective corporate press office
- Support events requiring PR support
- Create media materials which bring the NCS brand story to life, specifically in relation to corporate calendar moments such as the launch of the annual report, assent to Royal Charter
- Use organisational insight to identify target audiences, key stakeholder groups and partners to inform communication objectives, develop creative content and tailor messaging appropriately
- Lead on the evolution and ongoing maintenance of the NCS corporate website
- Manage and evolve the brand's corporate social media channel
- Act as a sounding board and advise colleagues in the wider organisation on PR and communications issues when they arise
- Write compelling drafts of PR and communications plans to support proactive and reactive activities
- Evaluate the success of corporate communications strategies and activities, including analysing feedback from audiences and stakeholder groups, to inform improvements to the comms team's offering
- Support with crisis management planning and responses
- Lead communications projects to support new initiatives
- Work in close collaboration with the Marketing and wider PR team to ensure clear alignment of communications strategies, activities and consistency of messaging
- Represent the brand externally in meetings with media and stakeholders
- Deputise for the Head of PR and Corporate Communications when necessary
- Solid experience of at least six years in corporate communications as a Communications Manager in-house or an established AD from a PR agency, ideally with big brands corporate experience
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship-building skills with the ability to develop strong working relationships across stakeholders both internally and externally
- Extensive experience of managing corporate social accounts
- The ability to identify and exploit different communication channels to maximise impact and meet the needs of different stakeholders
- Possess the confidence to deal with senior executives and persuasively explain communication techniques to them
- Strong track record of developing successful and impactful integrated PR-led campaigns
- Ability to translate strategy and insights into PR activities with a hands-on approach
- Outstanding writing, editing and proofreading skills with the ability to adapt writing to different channels and audiences
- A full understanding of the media landscape, including digital, with strong journalist contacts
- Experience of managing crisis communications and the ability to maintain a cool head during a pressurised situation
- Experience of working alongside senior leadership to provide strategic and tactical communications advice and guidance
- A creative thinker able to develop campaign concepts and turn them into media gold
- Highly entrepreneurial, ability to thrive in a fast paced and fast growing, dynamic environment - willing to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in with all levels of work as the team develops
The role is based in West London.
Competitive, based on skills, experience and organisational fit.
How to apply
Please send your CV and cover email/letter via the button below. Your covering email should:
- Include the job title in the subject line
- Make clear the role you are applying for
- Outline how you satisfy the specific requirements we list above
- Say what attracts you to NCS and to this role
- What makes you the right candidate for this role
Please note there will be at least two rounds of interview for this position.
NCS is an Equal Opportunities Employer, embracing diversity and inclusion.