Audit and Compliance Manager, UK Pathways
Contract: 8 months Fixed Term (Maternity Cover)
Kaplan International Pathways, a division of Kaplan Inc., is an exciting company in the world of international education. We offer a range of courses from University preparation programmes in the UK, Australia, USA, China, Japan and Nigeria through to full degree programmes, in partnership with universities at locations in Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia. Through our academic partnerships with leading universities, our expertise in international student recruitment and focus on first-rate pastoral care and student support, we provide international students with high quality, flexible international education and study opportunities.
We are recruiting an experienced finance professional, a chartered accountant, who has audit, SOX and industry experience and who has experience with the preparation of domestic and offshore statutory accounts for an 8 months fixed-term maternity cover position. Based in our Head Office (West Kensington, London) you will report to the UK & US Pathways Finance Director and will work closely with the Finance Team and the Internal Sarbanes Oxley Team. You must be technically strong as well as operationally-minded, to ensure the financial systems and processes underpinning the accounting activity are SOX compliant.
In addition to the audit and compliance core responsibilities, the role will require flexibility in taking on high priority ad hoc tasks.
Your main responsibilities:
- Key contact person for all audit engagements. You will be responsible for managing various audits and producing audit documentation - with support of the Finance team. These include external audit engagements with PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP. Within the 8 month contract, this will include a PWC audit for Group reporting purposes (Oct to Nov 2017 and January 2018) and the statutory audit, March-April 2018.
- Responsible for the preparation of the statutory accounts for the 13 UK-based statutory entities within Pathways
- Responsible for the provision of significant support to our Kaplan Representative office based in Nigeria. This will include leading statutory accounts preparation and managing the audit process, the filing of accounts and putting through any necessary year-end adjustments in the management accounts. Specifically, this assignment will involve helping to finalise the 2015 and 2016 audits and accounts. This position works closely with finance staff in Nigeria and is helping to cover the absence of the Finance Manager.
- Liaison with our Tax Consultants to complete annual tax computations and compliance activities
- Responsible for the division's Sarbanes Oxley reporting and audit requirements, which include working with the Finance Director on the Risk matrix and other annual SOX assessments; working with the Finance team and wider business on updating control descriptions as needed and on the quarterly internal control audit and related reporting. Also this role will be focussed on addressing and closing control deficiencies.
- Liaising with the Group Internal Audit Team in the event of information requests or audit visits.
- Completion of the business' Office for National Statistics surveys (monthly and annually).
- ACA / Chartered Accountant with some post qualification experience and significant external audit experience
- Strong technical skills
- Experience of preparing statutory accounts under FRS102
- Strong Excel skills
- Proven record of process and control environment improvement
- Excellent communication skills with both Financial and Non-Financial staff
- A strong team player, with good influencing skills, who is also very comfortable working independently
- Excellent problem solving skills
Please note that offers of employment are always subject to proof of eligibility to work in the UK and satisfactory reference checks. Additionally, as part of our commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people, certain positions will be subject to enhanced DBS checks.
Application method: Please apply with a CV and covering letter highlighting why you believe you are suitable for this role, via our online application form.